Thursday, 9 June 2016

My Gargoyle

Given that I feel more well than I have for years I'd like to keep it that way.  One of the things that went AWOL when I was working like a stupid thing before I became poorly were lunch breaks.  My stress head couldn't countenance them.  'There's not enough time for those!!!!' it cried 'Keep your nose to the grindstone until you drop!!!!!'  And so I did.

A regular lunch break for town based workers involves a wander around the shops but I'm trying to avoid doing that too often.  Now that my house needs little more than a lick of paint in  remaining rooms, I'm really trying to curb my spending and aim for debt freedom.   I think that I've said before that  my shopping cull must include those 'irresistible' charity shop purchases.  Oh okay I'll never be a complete goody two shoes in this department but a daily trawl for secondhand treasure  adds up.   So I'm trying to find different things to do with my half hour.  And that often involves sitting someone pleasant taking in the scenery or contemplating life in general.

Yesterday was a scorcher in the South West of England.  I'm not the most avid of sun worshippers after I've browned my legs so their white tightlessness is not so frightening to my fellow men.  So I sought shade.  I found it under a tree in the delightful graveyard of the main church in Totnes.  It's just off Fore street, the main thoroughfare but such a haven of peace and quiet.   I looked up and found this great little fellow was my companion.  I even like his drain pipe.  It was such a perfect spot that I think that I'll be going back with my sarnies again and again.

9 comments:

  1. He looks quite benign for a gargoyle !

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's quite sweet, I thought you were going to tell us you'd bought him in a charity shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish. He'd look great on the outside of my house. xx

      Delete
  3. I can't help wondering why the stone changes colour half way up the building. Was the red bit an afterthought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay I wonder if I am talking complete bollocks here but here goes! The red stuff is sandstone. Maybe those 15th century masons thought that the bottom of the building should be made of a more robust stone? x

      Delete
  4. Gargoyles used to freak me out then the Disney Hunchback came out and an after school cartoon I watched with older kids mademe rather fond. I don't take lunches-eat a quick bite while doing work, but I put it towards leaving by 5:15 and my twice Fridays off per month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be able to work through without a break in my previous career. However, because of all the stories of trauma that I encounter in my current job, it's probably a good thing to have time out during the working day. x

      Delete
  5. Towards the end of my working life I'd go in early and go without lunch in order to have Friday's off this worked in the short term but I can't help feeling it was partly to blame for my melt down. I ended up doing more work over 4 days with no lunch. Your way sounds a much better plan for peace of mind and sanity. I love gargoyles he's a fab chap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work a nine day fortnight and rushed out of the door at 7:40 each morning to get into work for an 8-5 day. I find 9-5 less stressful even though the payoff is a full Monday-Friday working pattern. x

      Delete