Friday, 10 June 2016

The Skirt Police

I've just come across this olde photo of a beach patrolman measuring bathing suit length on a '20s beach. Maybe there's a need for this role, albeit for a female employee in today's education system?

I was stuck in traffic whilst driving back to the office after my appointments yesterday at school turfing out time   Okay I'm a fan of skirts and dresses that end considerably above the knee but there are limits.  Back in the '70s we too used to adapt our uniform to look as alluring as an emerald green/royal blue bri-nylon combo would permit.  Our attempts though were uber- tame compared to the lengths (or maybe I should say lack of  lengths!) that girls appear to go to today  to sex up school uniform.  Bejesus!  Parents and teachers must have a constant battle with  trying to tone down what their adolescent daughters are wearing.   It made me think that parenting a boy might be so much easier!

13 comments:

  1. Most of the girls were wearing trousers at A's old school until the banned them from wearing the skin tight ones so they too now are skipping around in pelmets.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, pelmet is the word I needed! xx

      Delete
  2. My daughter (who is 16 and wears baggy skinny trouser - very skinny legs) calls the shortened skirts "belts" as they're shorter than pelmets. I think all schools should adopt trousers they are much more flattering and decent.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And skinny belts at that! I'm a skirt girl myself but probably agree with you on the school uniform trouser front. From the comments I have it seems that girls have gone to amazing lengths over many decades to tart up their school uniforms. It probably isn't going to stop in my lifetime. x

      Delete
  3. We used to turn the waistband of our skirts over several times…no trousers for girls at school in those days ( late 50s - early 60s)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey it was happening even as early as this!!! x

      Delete
  4. My mum always tells me that her form teacher made them measure the length of their skirts and if they weren't a certain length off the floor when kneeling they were in trouble! That was in the 60's when mini skirts were in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did that at my school as well. If it wasn't long enough your mum had to sew a bit of material back on the hem! x

      Delete
  5. It was a case of the longer the skirt the better when we were at school. I could never get one long enough though as I was tall! My girls wore trousers for school, as there was a regulation length that the skirts had to be. As K stands a smidge under 6' and KL is 5'10", it was impossible to get a skirt the right length - finding trousers for K was hard enough with her 33" inside leg length!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this resonates as well as I'm the same age as you. Still my preferred skirt lengths are down to the ankle if I'm not wearing the ones that are on the sassy side. x

      Delete
  6. D doesn't wear a uniform but supposedly there are dress codes but loosely enforced. Shorts and skirts are supposed to be fingertip length. Even my modest daughter goes shorter at times as hard to find longer. I saw butt cheeks one on a day on a girl when I was dropping her off . I wondered if she was sent home to change-doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was over enthusiastic when making a pair of cut down shorts out of jeans once in my teens and I think there might have been a buttock problem then. I don't think I was able to wear them in public. My parents were horrified! x

      Delete