Friday, 17 June 2016

The Voice of Knowledge


A couple of years back I wrote about the impression made on me by the book,  The Four Agreements.  Since then I've tried to incorporate these into my everyday life. Be impeccable with your word: Don't take anything personally: Don't make assumptions:  Do your best. Easy-peasy on paper but a rather more difficult in everyday life.   But boy, I'm trying. Deeply ingrained habits are a bit of a bugbear when it comes to assimilating new ways of living. However transformation is possible if successive initial failures to adopt the agreements are viewed with self acceptance and love.

Recently I've stepped up efforts to apply these principles that seem to make so much sense, giving guidance about how we might live in harmony with others.    There are plenty of resources to help direct a focus towards working on this. I'm using a meditation video on YouTube  to repeatedly reinforce this philosophy and challenge longstanding beliefs.   I've also read this book, a follow up from the first volume which introduces the agreements. Each page contains so much reason that it's become my preferred Desert Island reading.

The book expands on the original volume and again interweaves stories from Don Miguel Ruiz's own extraordinary life.  I think that what has grabbed me the most is the metaphor that we are all artists creating our own  picture that is an expression of our inner spirit.    Our own perspective is individualistic and does not match that of anyone else. Once we grasp this we can better embrace and understand individual difference and go about painting a masterpiece that is concordant what our inner self needs to nurture itself and grow.

4 comments:

  1. We do a lot of Jenny Mosely stuff at work and I ALWAYS take the time to have a golden moment everyday. She's my muse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just had a look at her website and like the way that she places emphasis on happy creative teachers being the necessary role models for happy kids. Golden Time when Louis was 5 always seemed to involve Lego! xx

      Delete
  2. As you said, hard to incorporate in daily life, and for me so true. If only knowledge in books could be absorbed for translation in behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of absorption! How would it happen in practice? xx

      Delete