Friday, 1 July 2016

I Surrender




I figured some time back that trying to control another person will either  be a non starter or distressing for them.  So,  what's the point of being nagging or domineering?   But when I was poorly a few months back the need to micro-manage every aspect of my own life became a fixation. And of course that's not possible either.  Again and again, life throws up stuff  that isn't part of the best laid plans.  It seems sensible to nurture acceptance of the idea that it's not always possible to exert influence over what happens  however hard we try.

This lovely meditation explores current themes in my own thinking around surrender, vulnerability and faith.  I've found it helpful and share it because others may too.  It  sits well with  Niebuhr's well-known serenity prayer. 

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you just what I needed at the moment. Elderly parent issues, own health issues all biting right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit of calm...sensible approach there dear chumxx
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acceptance is a hard stage to get to. I tend to get despondent rather than accepting when things are out of my hands and its not a good place.

    ReplyDelete