Monday, 11 July 2016

Estuarine Immigrants

I took the train this weekend.  My West Country route  to and from Bristol encompasses what must be one of the most scenic railway journeys in the world, the bit of the line between Exeter and Newton Abbot. Okay, it has a tendency to being washed away. Some of it is precariously close to the sea and it's not uncommon in rough weather for the trip to be livened up by a wave rolling across the carriages.   I for one would be terribly upset if it were ever re-routed  inland.

Along the tidal estuaries of the Exe and the Teign birdlife is abundant.  I especially love the little egrets.  They're a common site but only established themselves in this country from continental Europe at the end of the 1980s.  I've just noticed from this Pixabay shot that they have yellow feet, just like a lot of those boring footballers in the UEFA cup final last night!

4 comments:

  1. There are little egrets along our stretch of the River Lea. ( near Harpenden) I love them…so very white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have them here in Milton Keynes too, they are so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently saw a whole bunch of Egrets in a tiny field behind my local supermarket. Maybe they were lost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did they ask directions in English? x

      Delete