Friday, 8 July 2016

Lil' Heffalumps

The ability of others to work in miniature never ceases to amaze me. The scale is just not accessible for me from a temperament or dexterity point of view.  Big, bold and a bit rough around the edges are characteristics of my own creations. It has to be so.

The rather gorgeous Colossal website recently showcased this amazingly detailed piece of work, carved from a carpenter's pencil by Cindy Chinn.  Teeny tiny graphite elephants parade across an African landscape.  Probably someone's going to contradict that and say that the piece is inspired by an Indian tableau.  But hey, I'm posting ahead and at this time of night I really can't be arsed!

5 comments:

  1. That is beautiful. I couldn't guess what is was carved from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. Have had a quick look at " Colossal"……love the glass snails! I have bookmarked it so I can have a longer browse later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of what Colossal shows is rather amazing but I somtimes wonder what some of the ideas are. These pencils though - something else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hands can barely hold a pencil soe days let alone create anything form it. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete