Tuesday, 9 August 2016

A Half Marathon In Sight?

My sister's funeral has been postponed until the beginning of September after I get back from my summer holiday. It's something to do with the popularity of the woodland site where she's being buried. The delay is psychologically tricky.  Our family have had to come to terms with the fact that she is resting even though she hasn't been laid to rest yet.  No more suffering, no more pain.

In one of my last lucid conversations with Esther I promised that, if at all possible, I'd run a half marathon in 2017 for IIHUK.  It's a small charity that provides information and support for people who've been diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension which causes increased pressure around the brain. This is the condition that caused my sister to lose her sight.

So was I being rash in declaring my intent to try and get around a 13 mile course?  After all, the last time that I updated you with my progress through the NHS's Couch to 5K running programme  I was jogging for just three minute  bursts.  Ha!  Ye of little faith.  With the help of my virtual coach, Laura, I've made steady progress over the last few weeks and now, after a five minute warm up, I can run for twenty five minutes, a veritable racing snake albeit a stubby, rotund one!

What I've noticed over is that increasing the duration of my little trots around the block has been getting easier and easier.  The step up from sixty to ninety seconds bursts of running between weeks 1 and 2 seemed like pure torture. 'When is this going to end?' my brain agonised at around the 61 second mark.  The difference now is that often I don't give what I'm doing a second thought. I can enjoy the scenery or ponder on something other than worrying about the integrity of my ACL repair.   Running for over two hours in one go is still a way off.  But with a firm charitable aim in mind crossing that half marathon finish line seems a whole lot more achievable.  I've been doing a bit of research and Bristol's nice flat circuit might be the one of aim for.  And who knows.  I might sneak a cheeky 10K race into my schedule in the meantime.

13 comments:

  1. Oh please don,t push yourself to do this and make yourself unwell.
    At this time you don,t need extra stress, but less stress.
    Last time before you became unwell as you said, tried to do too much, even had a
    daily timetable that was unachievable.
    Please look after you and do,nt let the dominoes topple. Xx


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless you. Fear not! My life is really far less hectic than before I got ill. I've pared things right back and have been working with my new boss to try and make sure that work doesn't dominate the time outside my 37.5 contracted hours. That was the killer last time. Three half hour runs a week have been built into a sensible exercise regime which is one of the things that I'm doing to stay well. As far as I can tell from my research you can train for a half marathon from scratch in two months so theoretically I could do the Bristol one this September. But that would be pretty silly for someone in their fifties who hasn't exercised a great deal over the last few years. Next year seems very do-able though. I'll be adding in longer weekend runs (as per online training recommendations) nearer next autumn when, fingers crossed, I'll be much fitter.

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed with your progress, but Kirrie is right in say don't push your self too hard. If you don't manage to to do the half marathon next yer there is always the following year.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply to Kirrie. I'm really being quite sensible! x

      Delete
  3. Oh well done that woman! I have never been a " runner" and as I spent many years with an arthritic knee ( half knee replacement 6 years ago) I could barely walk at times. I only run now if I need to catch up with the dog if he has run off…luckily he does that less and less now! ( If you need sponsoring for any running, let me know. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm going to arrange one of those online donation thingies through Just Giving nearer the time!

      Delete
  4. As long as you are doing the runs, and the running leading to the run as a source of personal contentment and enjoyment, no need to add pressure on your self.To me, progressing towards a goal, even if the goal line keeps moving farther back, is still keeping a commitment. too often though, the process, which is maybe more important, is forgotten once the goal is met. Keep on plugging, but know it doesn't have to be next year or the year after that to run the 1/2 marathon as long as you are happy with your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy running! As for goals..I've learnt from experience that they need flexibility built in. x

      Delete
  5. How fab good for you. As long as you feel good about it keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've completed a half marathon. I didn't run, I'm not built for it. I walked it in around 4 hours.

    Could you look into a speedwalking club? You know, the funny walk they do in the Olympics? Several people did it that way.

    Good luck, it's not impossible, I did it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. I've done two half marathons in my twenties and had to walk a bit then. I'm very philosopher about the means of completing the course. x

      Delete
    2. That's a very sensible approach and one that should prevent injuryxx

      Delete