Monday, 8 August 2016

Do it YOURSELF!

At times of stress my self-diagnosed dyspraxia, which is still awaiting formal assessment,  kicks in nicely and more accidents happen.  It's an expensive old business being clumsier than most.  

Back in September last year I was feeling particularly frazzled as we'd just moved into the house.  Isn't that known to be one of the biggest stressors going?  Whilst decorating that room in the attic that is full of meerkats, I knocked over a tub of paint on the landing outside.  Not just one of those standard cylindrical pots but a great big industrial sized rectangular container.  You could have swum in the stuff.

There followed a saga that went on and on.  A man came to quote for the job of replacing the carpet.  I had some remnants in my loft space but they were no good.  It had something to do with the direction of the weave of the matting, a bit like nap in fabric.  Now being someone with sewing experience I understood that good and proper.  So I went online, sourced the carpet that was a match for the rest of the stuff upstairs and it arrived within two days.  It was placed on my stairs ready for that bloke to fit.  Somehow it didn't happen.  He buggered off to live in Spain in January.  

I advertised on RatedPeople.com.  It seemed that squillions of tradespeople looked at my job and decided it wasn't for them.  I phoned a few other carpet fitters.  Another one couldn't do it because he was heading for Spain as well.   Three arranged quotes and didn't turn up.  I was at a loss.  'Is that carpet still on your stairs?'  asked the Prof.  She wasn't surprised at my answer.  She'd been having the same problem getting someone to fit a front door.  It's probably because most of the handymen in the South West are chilled dudes who prefer surfing to earning money. Or maybe I'd somehow collectively upset all the carpet fitters in Devon.   Paranoia was setting in.

Now teenage rooms are traditionally untidy but  Lou's room was also chocker block with stuff that was to be stored on the landing.  It wasn't helping the situation up there and mess does my head in.  I needed a cunning plan.

It dawned on me that carpet fitting might not be any more tricky than following a dressmaking pattern. Could YouTube have the answer? After all it's done wonders for my meditation practice.  And it did! Some helpful chappies gave me a crash course in carpet fitting and B&Q supplied the pusher, cutter and stretcher.  Here's the result, not completely perfect but it's passed muster with the fussy Mr Metrosexual.   Had I have known sooner how straightforward this was I could have saved some stress as well as those pennies!  I'll show off the completed landing makeover in a little while.





9 comments:

  1. Now that you know how to do it you could do a sideline in carpet fitting….there is obviously a call for it in your area!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if I'm up to that yet. But after a particularly stressful day at work the thought did cross my mind as well. x

      Delete
  2. Haha I was going to say what Frances did!!!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crikey, you will soon be able to change career and then you can bugger off to Spain! Well done. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's not too far off the plans I have for the future. I dont' think carpet fitting is involved though! x

      Delete
  4. Massively impressed here!
    I can paint, wallpaper, sew, even upholster - a little.
    But carpet fitting? Remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier than it looks. I'd do it again. x

      Delete