Wednesday, 10 August 2016

One to Aspire To

Buying a new book is a rare occurrence these days.  My literary diet is met from the library, offerings from friends and the little stand in the reception downstairs at work that raises money for bits of hospital equipment. Oh,  and there's the odd occasional charity shop find.   As I don't often read novels twice these are always passed on.   The contents of my rainbow bookcase are a dynamic entity.

But in a rare flurry of consumer activity I've bought four new books over the last couple of weeks. The boring one is an updated edition of an assessment tools that I use for work.  And then, as you do,  I've decided that I absolutely 'needed' a copy of Martin Luther King's sermons. I'll tell you about that another time.  I decided that I'd also like a couple more reference works on printmaking.  Yes, I know you can get all the information that you need online these days but there's still something rather special about having information in hard copy form.  I think it's the reason that I still have rather a wonderful collection of recipe books.

I've treated myself to Block Print by Andrea Lauren and Linocut for Artists and Designers by Nick Morley.  They're a pleasure to pore over with a cuppa so I'm delighted I've splashed out. They're giving me all sorts of ideas for printmaking action when I return from my hols.  After all I have bare walls to fill!  There's plenty of inspiration from other artists contained within.  This print by Sonia Romero that's featured in the second book is the one that stopped me in my tracks.  I love the composition, subject matter and the use of colour.  Maybe, with a lot of practice I'll be able  produce a linocut that's quite this wonderful one day.

6 comments:

  1. I love books I have hundreds especially recipe and yoga books and there's nothing I love more than sitting down with a cuppa browsing etc. My books cheer me up if I'm feeling under par the Internet just doesn't cut it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! A page to turn and a lovely mug of tea. Bliss! x

      Delete
  2. I love buying books, but unless there is one in particular I want I tend to buy second hand from the charity shops.
    The last time I tried lino cutting I nearly did myself serious damage,schoolgirl error.
    We are holidaying in your neck of the woods and so far have spotted 5 colourful rhino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a special thing that I hook on the table and then cut away from myself so surprisingly hardly ever get injured. Good luck in the rhino spotting. Louis has already bagsied all the ones in Exeter. x

      Delete
  3. Julie,
    Hoping you got CBT .
    Worried at randomness of marathon,works of Martin Luther King,you need to read, and block printing you need to do now!. You sound a bit unwell, reach out for help!.
    I hope I am wrong!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did CBT years ago, still use it myself and in my eclectic therapy with others. I'm good at the moment and recognise the difference between bereavement and depression. Having time for books, exercise and creating art are all signs that life is on the right track. xx

      Delete