Tuesday, 16 August 2016

The British Brew

Something disastrous happened on my last French holiday.  I ran out of tea bags. Sacre Bleu!   Only a fellow Brit would understand the enormity of the situation.

Now I love you guys in Continental Europe and the America.  But I'm going to make a sweeping generalisation because I haven't disproved otherwise.  You don't really get it when it comes to making a cuppa. Sod delicacy and an elegant nose. What we're after is robustness of flavour and I haven't been able to find tea that delivers that hearty kick outside Blighty.

I thought E Leclerc,  my favourite supermarket chain had come up trumps as I discovered that they stocked Twinning English Breakfast Tea.  'Just the job!' I thought, even though it came in those individually wrapped sachets and cost an arm and a leg.  But was it my imagination?  It didn't have the punch of the stuff sold in the UK.  Perhaps continental types like to be roused more gently.

Procuring tea bags before we sailed this time became a priority.  I'd taken a picture of the no-nonsense box of Co-op 99 tea that crossed the Channel with us to illustrate today's post.  But what luck!   As part of the excellent. Chagall exhibition that drew me to Landerneau there was this painting, 'Man with a cup of tea'.  How wonderfully apt!

7 comments:

  1. ah, tis because they be nations of coffee drinkers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course. Now French coffee is great! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We go in gites in France and it is really unusual to find a teapot or even mugs.You have to have a teapot to make proper cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to have one in the van that I painted at a ceramics studio. Will have to do another. xx

      Delete
  4. I've tried to love coffee but I just don't give me a good strong cup of tea any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much prefer tea although I 'treat' myself to gourmet brewed coffee on cafes. xx

      Delete
  5. It's the water.

    Americans can't or won't boil it.

    And it tastes different in other areas

    ReplyDelete