Sunday, 28 August 2016

The Confirmed Three Weeker

I'm late blogging today because.....it doesn't matter! There's no set routine here.  This lifestyle of being a bohemian traveller suits me well. I wonder if it could be sustained after Louis has flown the nest?  Hmm! I've got at least five years to ponder that one.

Actually life on the road has stopped still.  No photos yet so I'm using shots from earlier in the holiday as my piccies have gone down well will some of you who've commented. Here's one from a gorgeous morning walk on the Crozon Pennisula that I took alone whilst Louis had one of those long teenage lie ins.  The next picture is another beautiful Chagall painting  from the exhibition at Landerneau.  You might even get a scene from Quiberon if I write enough.  Often I have no idea how posts are going to pan out

We've moved to a campsite for the next few nights. I heard on the grapevine, aka Facebook, that friends we met a couple of years ago were nearby. So we've joined them. Remember Bob the Fish who allowed Lou to experience his first catch?  I've already had a lovely time  catching up with him and his wife, Cloudy Karen, over a couple of jars of the pink stuff.   As I predicted it involved rather a lot of mirth.   They have a son, Ollie, who's here with a friend so Lou has people of his own age to muck around with.  This is v. good as sadly,  the teenage code  is different from my own and that of younger kids.  It doesn't involve approaching random strangers and making new acquaintances. That just isn't cool.  

There's extra costs attached to our conventional camping stopover that I hadn't factored in to the price of the holiday. But it's  offset to a large part by savings on diesel and the now common fees for parking and services at aires. And a camping pitch in August can be had at low season rates as French schools return earlier than ours.  I think I've mentioned this handy tip for UK travellers in an earlier post.  It's why we always come here at the end of the summer break.

Ooh there's space for another picture.  I've been rambling on this morning haven't I?  Here's a rather random one from that Sound and Light show where I met Cro.  The thing that the Viking is holding appeared to be a severed head. Family entertainment at its best! Haven't we done a lot and there's still  nearly a week to go!

Our North American holiday last year demonstrated the restorative benefits of a three week summer break.   It's such a lovely long time to have away from work. I'm so grateful that my generous NHS long service holiday entitlement gives me the privilege of being able to have extended time to chill, potter, ponder and play.  So I've decided to make this extra long break a tradition.   With an emphasis on self catering and focusing on free and low cost activities rather than visiting costly attractions this doesn't have to be expensive. Being on holiday for extra weeks can be just as cheap as staying at home.

4 comments:

  1. Three weeks should be the national minimum for a break in summer. I used to refuse to go to the USA for less than four weeks.

    Enjoy the time remaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done four once when I finished my occupational therapy course. That was to the states and yes it was lovely. What I'd really like is to be able to fund a very similar simple lifestyle when Louis leaves home. xx

      Delete
  2. I am sure that you will achieve that, you know how the Cosmos helps. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - I am practising exercises in faith at the moment. Not thinking about the where and whys of what might happen just trying to believe. xx

      Delete