Sunday, 7 August 2016

'What's That Rhino Doing There!'

This was my utterance as I drove around the corner near my house and caught a glimpse of the green that I share with my neighbours and consider my second garden. And why ever not?  It's got a picnic table and benches, a sea view to die for and someone else does all the donkey work.

Anyway back to the rhino.  He's part of the Great Big Rhino Project and you can get all the details and register online by following the link.  Yep, it's one of those trails where you go around spotting sculptures.  Just like the one with all those blooming Shaun the Sheeps in Bristol and London last year that rendered me particularly faint of heart by the end.  This one, which raises money for endangered rhinos ,is  a bit more manageable.  There's forty two of them scattered around Torbay and Exeter including a wandering one called Louis who doesn't stay still. Now isn't that apt?  The trail remains in place until October which gives my son of seeing all of them.  Given that I was all sheeped out last year I've come up with a cunning plan to buy my own Louis a day pass for the bus and send him off to search for some of  them without adult supervision.  After all he's 13 now and there are details of how to get around the trail by bus in the information leaflet that I picked up at the library yesterday.  After all, didn't I roam free like a big African animal by that age?

I have to say that I'm rather partial to the piece of public art that's turned up in my community's special space.  It called  'Why the Caged Bird Sings', which is the title of Maya Angelou's biography. A bit of inspiration for my holiday reading perhaps?

4 comments:

  1. We had elephants in our town last year. I love the highly original approach everyone takes to decorating them.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my favourite were the pigs that they had in Bath a few years ago. xx

      Delete
  2. The rhinos were in Chester a few years ago when K and A lived there. We really enjoyed searching for them on our visits there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! These are different rhinos than the Chester ones as they've been specially commissioned for this trail. xx

      Delete