Thursday, 29 September 2016

A Fistful

My personal jewellery wearing style tends toward big, brash statement pieces.  No delicate little pendants on chains as fine as spun spider's web for me.  It's a good job that I don't have a penchant for diamonds!

I've now filled all the fingers of my right hand.  I'll talk you through my ring collection digit by digit. Even though my heavy old sunflower thumb ring is my newest acquisition, it's very familiar to me as I made it. It was gifted to my sister but was returned to me after her death.   On my index finger is this year's holiday treat to myself from  Me-Mo-A Boutique de Createurs in the walled part of Comcarneau.  It's a ring by a local jeweller. I've got her card somewhere so I'll have to amend the post with her name once I find it. The ones  on the middle finger are all my own work as are the two narrow rings each side of the big fat band on my index finger.  That used to house a spinning copper band adorned with leaves but probably the result of too much fiddling meant it fell off.  Last but not least are my pinky rings from Seattle, the ones that Louis says he would have bought himself if he hadn't forgotten his wallet! They now frame my engagement ring which sat in a box after my separation. Now I've decided it's too lovely not to wear.  Oh there is a diamond after all. When I got engaged one of the girls in the office looked dismissively at the vintage piece.  'When I get an engagement ring I want it to have a diamond that's so big it's got a name'.  'Mine has' I replied.  'He's called Titch!'.

All that bling might be having an unintended beneficial effect.  I have a little hypothesis that some of my clumsiness may be because my proprioception isn't too hot.  That means that I have trouble knowing where bits of my body are in space.  The extra weight of the rings means that I have feedback about where my hand is. And funnily enough I seem to be less accident prone since I've added that extra silvery weight.  Of course I might be speaking too soon. I'll probably pop downstairs now and knock something precious off a shelf!

6 comments:

  1. Your ring collection is wonderful I love the sunflower thumb ring but all of them are lovely and your engagement ring is too pretty not to wear. Do you make jewellery to sell or just for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made jewellery to sell in the past but not at the moment. Masters studies starting again will preclude it for a couple of years. Hope to in the future though.xx

      Delete
  2. Your fistfulls are lovey and full of all kinds of memories.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a jewelry wearer, for years i only wore my wedding band, technically an anniversary band as it is not the original. Now I wear the solitaire diamond ring with it, and occasionally put earrings on. I always have a gold basic chain, but seldom remember to add pieces to it. I love the look of rings though, just too lazy myself to be bothered putting them on. (and the wedding band is so stuck, my fingers need to be ice cold to get it off.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely take them off. The engagement ring got squashed on my hand once and had to be rebuilt. xx

      Delete
  4. I love all those big 'silver' rings!

    ReplyDelete