Tuesday, 20 September 2016

A Slamming Surprise

My printmaking came to a halt earlier in the year. Mainly that's because I need a way of drying my work that doesn't involve bits of paper scattered all over the house for a few days at a time.  Disorder does little for my sense of bonhomie.  But  thanks to a brainwave in IKEA I think I've come up with a nifty solution that will maintain the order and tidiness that I crave.  The only problem is that I've left some of the necessary bits and bobs in the motorhome and haven't been out there since our holiday.  I hope to retrieve them shortly so will share this shortly.

The other thing is that printing at home without a press is pretty hard work and not something that I particularly relish. It takes quite a bit of physical effort using the back of a spoon or a barren, a handheld disc for taking an impression from a wood or lino cut, to apply the necessary pressure to get a good print.  And the process always seems much more hit and miss than when there's a proper press to hand,  I lusted after big old conventional ones but really don't have anywhere to put one.

So I was pretty excited when my sister in law, Louise Maclaren. discovered the Slama Handpress.  She was so impressed that she became the UK distributor for this  device that was invented and engineered in the Czech republic. It takes up  very little space and makes the printing process easy as its design means that very little pressure has to be exerted by the user.

I'd been thinking for some time that I needed to stump up the cash for my own but money's been tight. Some to do with house moves and holidays.  That'll do it!  But at the weekend I was told I'm being given one s a gift - an early Christmas present. I'm delighted and more excited than a  big excited thing.  I couldn't even wait until it's arrived to post about it.   So as a thank you to Louise here's a bit of free advance publicity.  After all I think that she deserves a bit of nepotism under the circumstances!

4 comments:

  1. Who is a lucky girl then? That will make a big difference to your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will as it will be practicable to make prints with a view to selling my work. xx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the post Julie, will be popping it into the post soon! We hope it is going to be up to your expectations. Perhaps we will see the results on your blog sometime!
    Thank you also for being so good to us recently xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited about its imminent arrival and of course will be displaying my work on the blog because I'm a great big show off! Love to you both. xxxxxxx

      Delete