Friday, 9 September 2016

How Many Hangers Do You Need

There's a statistic that says every person in the world owns something like a 100 Lego bricks. Well I reckon it's going to be the same with coat hangers too.  Every time you buy an item of  new clothing , even a pair of knickers or a bra there's another one. It's not even as if they're the wire type that could be used to fill a whole house with the tinsel covered fire hazards that are Blue Peter Advent Crowns.  Half the petrochemical industry must be involved in making the damned things.

And it's not as if they're supplied with items of clothing that you're ever going to hang up again.  I got three this week when I renewed my supply of strappy black vest tops and they were delivered to a store. You'd need a wardrobe the size of a planet if you were going to hang things like that up.   There were three more with Louis' school trousers that came in the same parcel.  Of course I suspect that they're really supplied to suit the retailer.  It's probably the most space saving way to display garments or has been shown to increase consumer spending by making displays more attractive.  Cynical bugger that I am, I don't feel that they're provided for our convenience.

So what can be done?  Recyclenow wasn't particularly inventive with an answer, the main suggestion being donating them to charity shops or dry cleaners  More innovative ideas call for the more aesthetic pleasing wire or wooden versions .  But surely these folks must reach a stage where they've got enough for their purposes?  Buyng clothes from the secondhand outlets is one answer as they don't usually dole out a hanger with your purchase but reuse them.  And maybe giving them back to the store at the time of purchase is another answer.  It would be good to know that these are then recycled but then I've got a sneaky feeling that they might just go in the bins at the back of the store.  

7 comments:

  1. Most places usually ask if you want the hanger to which I refuse I have enough for my clothes. I have a lot of strappy vest tops too but they're usually stuffed in drawers not hung on a hanger lol. Also I like nice hangars so sometimes find myself tarting them up to look pretty lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that what prompted the post was that these vest tops were tied to the blooming things by those stupid straps to hang them! xx

      Delete
    2. Oh, I really dislike those infernal, internal, loops by which we should hang our tops. I usually cut them off and save the ribbons for other things...?

      Delete
  2. But I never have enough of the right hanger types. I'm not sure what a strapped vest top is but it sounds like clothing I stuff in drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed the link down memory lane to Blue Peter! Oh Shep, and Petra, and Jason the Siamese cat! Never mind the humans, but John Noakes was always my favourite. When plastic hangers break, we save the hooks, bend the end round so we have S shaped butchers hooks, keep them in the kitchen drawer for 15 years, move house and declutter, chuck them in metal recycling and then, finally, find that they would be useful in the shed...too late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah a proper recycling tip for using them. Thanks! x

      Delete