Sunday, 18 September 2016

Increasing Snuggliness

This post will be irrelevant for those of you who can 'sleep for England' or whatever country of abode takes your fancy.  For the rest of you it might be helpful.  I've harped on about insomnia in the past because it seems to be a constant in my life.  At times battling it reaches the obsessional.  So it is with profound surprise that I report that I'm sleeping right through most nights at the moment.  So what's changed?

Well firstly I'm less stressed.  That's got to be playing a role. Maybe exercise, meditation and generally slowing down have helped. But there's a practical step I took that really made a difference.  Over the summer I've been sleeping under just a cover, with the duvet relegated to the storage bed in the spare room.  A week ago I noticed that it was nippier at night so it's been retrieved.  Et la voila!  As soon as I increased the cosyness  quotient I slept through.  Seven whole hours for two nights on the trot.  It's unheard of!  Interruptions since then have been minimal.

Apparently our body temperature drops during sleep and reaches a low two hours before our normal waking time.  Could this have been what was waking me?  As the winter sets in I'll be piling on blankies as the temperature drops further.  It won't be too onerous.  After all being snuggly is such a lovely thing!

8 comments:

  1. I haven't pinpointed my sleeping issue precisely but hot and cold is an all night back and forth issue.I love cozy then I feel I'm baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worked out that I can fall asleep at the beginning of the night if I'm baking. xx

      Delete
  2. I have written about this many times. I have started taking vitamin D, C and folic acid. I seem to be sleeping better. 5 hours a night no problem. Some people really cant understand it when you say you cant sleep, its bat po op crazy hard. makes you really worried that there is something wrong with you.

    I am glad you found something to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got very obsessional when I was poorly. The annoying thing is that the people who sleep really well all the time don't seem to need to do anything special. xx

      Delete
  3. Think my secret to sleeping was forgetting the budget, just going for top of range all singing n dancing temperature control memory foam mattress n pillows. Lovely m n s anti allergy duvet, n their pure white cotton covers!. Sorted, sink in and drop off !. no tv no radio, no pot purri no stimulus to senses, works for me ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds tempting as I read your description. I'm with you re: no TV. I've always been very anti them in bedrooms. xx

      Delete
  4. Seven hours? Good grief, if I get four I think I am lucky. I never relinquish my duvet, just push it aside when I get too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my Maggie Thatcher periods of sleeplessness I survive on four hours. xx

      Delete