Friday, 23 September 2016

It's a Bloody Miracle

Six months ago, during the depths of my long illness, Little Wren came to lunch.  The dear brought round this orchid to cheer me up.  Half a year on it's still alive.  As you can see, it's not just hanging on to life by the barest of threads but flourishing!  That's a minor miracle as far as I'm concerned.  For green fingered I am not.  I could usually cause a Japanese knotweed or a vast Leylandii hedge to wither away just by a quick glance.

So what's happened here then?  Have I constantly tended this pretty little plant, feeding it special, expensive orchid food
and watering it with smart water?  Have I talked to it fondly or played it the type of music that I think that an orchid would like.  It would have to be classical.  Perhaps a bit of Rachmaninov.

Little Wren seems to have picked on the perfect plant for a non diligent gardener.  All it's needed is a drizzle of water on the rare occasions that I remember and all that bright light in my sun room.  She hit upon a plant that seems to thrive on the neglect that I lovingly can give!

10 comments:

  1. I have kept these orchids for years now. They need very little water and must never sit in water. I believe that they take water in through the aerial roots, though I don't see many in your picture. Please don't throw it away when the flowers finally go. Just cut the stem off and leave it in a quiet place. Hopefully in a few months it will decide to flower again. I have one just like yours that used to belong to my Mum and it has been in flower for weeks now. Have a good weekend. Much colder here this morning…the heating came on ! Glorious sunshine though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for the gardening tips. xx

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful photo...thanks for sharing.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I hadn't go the plug socket in it though. I might have another go. xx

      Delete
  3. Oh my. This picture made me smile before I even read the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let the orchid completely dry out and then leave it in a bucket of water for an hour. Certainly don't throw it away when it's stopped flowering and keep the spike on for a while until you are sure the spike is dead. It may start flowering again on the same spike.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh more gardening tips. Always welcome.xx

      Delete
  5. I have managed to kill one of those...I really should try harder with my plant management! Your orchid looks as though it is thriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoah! Someone who's less green fingered than me! xx

      Delete
    2. Black fingered, I'd say. Plants see me coming and wither as they stand.

      Delete