Saturday, 10 September 2016

Puppy!

Louis is the proud owner of a pair of year old Russian hamsters that needed a home.  They live in his bedroom at his Dad's house and I've made it very clear that they will not be taking holidays in Brixham.   Because of an absence of pet ownership during my entire adult life some people assume that I'm not an animal lover.  Not so! It's just that I don't want the responsibility for any more lives.  I can barely keep on top of looking after myself and the boy!

There's been plenty of cats and dogs that I've been inordinately fond of though.  Baxter, Ruff Stu's bull terrier greets me ecstatically whenever he sees me.  He likes a scratch on his back just at the base of his tail.  Lola, Barbie Nurse's lithe black lab comes running towards me every time she sees me on the green where she plays ball a couple of times a day. One of my favourites was a beautifully characterful neighbour's cat called Mayhem who treated my house in Exeter as his second home. When I was a student occupational therapist and had study days he'd come and curl up on the bed with me  at siesta time.  However we had a big falling out. His last visit to my home was the day I brought Louis home from hospital as a baby.  Mayhem came into the conservatory, looked at the interloper in his carry chair with disgust and walked out never to return.

It's no surprise then that I was totally bowled over my this cutie. My sister had multiple health problems including a condition called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension,  a neurological condition that causes pressure on the brain that mimics a brain tumour and causes progressive sight loss.  She was registered blind and was on the waiting list to get a guide dog before her death.  At her request part of her estate has been used buy a puppy and support its first year of training.  And so, at the picnic after my sister's funeral my parents were given this picture.  This is Esther, a labrador - retriever cross named after my sister. She is  currently being puppy walked in Essex.    Fingers crossed that she'll earn her stripes!

13 comments:

  1. Whar a beautiful idea. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to mark your sister's life.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther is beautiful X what a fabulous legacy X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps Mr 19 had a pair of Russian dwarf hamsters. They stank! A lot worse than the bigger nicer hamsters that don't smell at all! I cleaned them out three times a week and they were bitey. Buster and Tiger they were called. Stinky bitey cute pets! Good call on banning them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I already appreciate their stinkiness. I was ushered up to Louis' bedroom at his Dad's and there was already a niff in the air. And he wears a black glove a la Alvin Stardust to handle them to counteract the bitey-ness. They are called Anna (Karenina) and Valentina (Tereshkova)! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh gorgeous Esther, a fitting tribute to your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love. What a special legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely idea and a great legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea. Esther is indeed a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's a total cutie - and a wonderful legacy and way to celebrate your sister's life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am totally wiped out by this. I don't even like dogs.

    You are so good. xx

    ReplyDelete