Monday, 12 September 2016

Sock Angst

A few years back I wrote about the twenty four unmatched socks that had accumulated in Louis' underwear drawer.    Nothing much has changed. The borrowers seemed to have moved with us from the edge of Dartmoor to Brixham.  What do they use them for? Sleeping bags for little people or giant sacks to store other filched household items perhaps? Or perhaps they nick them just for devilment and are having a jolly good laugh at my expense.  The little bastards!

Louis thought that it would be a good idea if I bought him 'Day of the Week' socks to help us get organised. No! no! no! and again I say no! It is not! He is away from me for set days of the week so the Thursday and Friday pair were never worn  Even so they've gone AWOL.  On changeover day in terms of co-parenting, the  Wednesday ones ended up at  his father's house never to return.

There is also a certain amount of nagging if he can't find a pair corresponding to any given day of the week.  He becomes obsessional and of course, to compound the problem, the single sock problem has not gone away. Never has clothing been so stressful! 

10 comments:

  1. Lost socks are a nightmare so now I pair the socks up when I hang them out and as I bring them in I out one inside the other. Sometimes there will be one missing so I keep it until the other turns up, more often than not I find it still in the washing basket. All three of us were balck socks but with different designs/coloured bottoms.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about them making it to the wash basket is one thing. We are talking about a thirteen year old boy here. And I'm sure the washing machine eats them! xx

      Delete
  2. Who says you have to wear matching socks anyway? Be quirky, wear odd ones ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a school with a strict uniform policy and anyway he's quirky enough. Gets it from his mother! xx

      Delete
  3. I would definitely go down the route of wearing odd socks! I have the issue of 4 women all wearing black knickers ... It's a nightmare trying to dish out the correct pairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we don't have that problem in a mixed sex household. xx

      Delete
  4. Days of the week socks is completely the wrong way to go. Remember the maths questions about the probability of picking a pair of socks? Buy as many pairs of identical socks as you can afford then the probability of a matched pair is higher. Simples.

    ReplyDelete