Monday, 5 September 2016

'The Bees Like It'





Today my sister Esther will be buried in a  wicker coffin  on a woodland site. A place where she can finally be at peace among the plants and the wildlife. There is a picnic afterwards where her friends and family can share food together.   Esther will be wearing the dress and hat that she bought for my brother's wedding.  Sadly she died three days before  at the age of just 46.  I lost and gained a sister within a week. That's not happened to many people I suppose.  One day  I'll  tell Esther's story as it is inspiring and gives much food for thought.  But not now.

My sister requested that there should not be a vicar presiding over the funeral. So my family have put together  a simple ceremony that I think that she would have liked.  I've chosen this to play as I remember her dancing to Queen in the living room of our childhood home.  It's from the album that was released around the time of Freddie Mercury's death, a song from another who was also young when they left this world.

Esther had an intense love of nature and the words of today's title will be inscribed on her memorial.   They meant a lot to her.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like it will be a beautiful, personal and heartfelt ceremony and one you will all remember with fondness...how many people can say that about the normal impersonal service in a crematorium, conducted by someone not known to the family & friends or even the deceased? The picnic idea is a lovely one, I hope the weather holds up for you all. That Queen song is a lovely one, Freddie's voice, even in his last days, was so pure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The service and everything sound so idealic. Hope the weather holds out for the picnic (such a great idea)
    Best wishes
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the kind of burial I would like, and my kind of music. Freddie died too young, as has your sister. Take care of yourself. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it is a beautiful and moving day for you and your family as you surround Esther with all your love as she is returned to the earth.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a beautiful ceremony you have all planned. Love to you and your family. XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peace and love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds perfect.Esther died way too soon.It makes you think how we should treasure every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound just right and planned with all her wishes in mind and with great love. Fingers crossed for kindly weather. Sending peaceful thoughts your way. Please do tell Esther's story when you are ready to share it. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely that all sounds it's just the way I want to do it when it's my turn with design for life by the manic street preachers as the soundtrack. I've informed my kids. My best friend died a couple of years ago at 44 way too young too. I honestly don't know how I would cope if I lost my sister so my heart goes out to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed, a carefully planned and suitable ceremony - dignified (but maybe a little not-dignified too!) and just right for you all. May it bring comfort to you as you say your goodbyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The arrangements to say goodbye to your sister sound so personal and beautiful. Freddie Mercury would have been 70 today and as others have said, like your sister, left this world too soon. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  12. Been thinking about you today as you said goodbye to your sister. The woodland setting and personal touches as you celebrate her life sound perfect. Hugs.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope today went as planned and wanted.46 is no age.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am late, I do hope that it all went well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister, I hope the day went as planned. Much love. xxx

    ReplyDelete