Monday, 24 October 2016

A Little Hope

We live in a world where a bloke who looks like Dobby out of Harry Potter sends his warships down the English Channel just to give us a bit of a scare.  And there's a shouty man with awful hair who's trying is to get his hand on the big old nuclear button over the pond.  It can seem like our planet is a frightening place to be these days.  Yet I believe the kind, compassionate decent folk will win the day.  After all there's enough of us.  Our shared humanity manifested in billions of acts of kindness will pull through I'm sure.

Here's a story from my working life. The other day I had to help a very lovely lady take her lifelong friend to live in a care home.  Her dementia was of a rare and aggressive type.  Quite quickly she went from being able to live independently to someone for whom home had been a very frightening place where imagined intruders stalked her when she was alone.

'She's not the same woman'  said her friend as I was driving her in the car to collect her friend.  It's a cry that I've heard many times before.  Some choose to walk away at that stage.  It is too painful for them to continue the relationship.  I feel no sense of blame when this happens.  But not this lady.  'Well I'm just going to have to get to know the new person, aren't I?'

12 comments:

  1. What a fantastic friend. I hope I can be a friend like that some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me so sad. And mad. Of course they are the same people, they are just ill. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't make me too mad as those personality changes can be so transforming. xx

      Delete
  3. She sounds like the type of friend who builds doors not walls when trouble strikes. Lovely post.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone needs a friend like that. Friends till the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People like her do give us hope. Putin DOES look like Dobby and God no! we will not elect Donald Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time an American affirms that they won't give Trump a vote it warms the cockles of my heart. Thank you!!! xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely lady! I re-read the January post you linked to and my comment about what my Mum told me. I had forgotten that lovely memory! Mum died peacefully in May, with me holding her hand. A few days before, she couldn't remember who I was, so I reminded her, saying, "I'm your daughter, that's why I call you Mum. You always have been my Mum all my life and you always will be." She said "Thank you". I am so glad I didn't desert her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brought tears to my eyes Attila. Thanks so much for sharing. xx

      Delete
  7. I saw some Christian American university students on tv saying they've vote for Trump and I couldn't believe how naiive they were thinking this awful man could be in control. Dementia is so sad. I'm glad your friend had you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am praying and praying that 'this awful man' won't be in control. xx

      Delete
  8. What a true friend that woman is. I hope she can learn to like the new person her friend is becoming. x

    ReplyDelete