Thursday, 27 October 2016

Back To The Dark Ages




Oh my beloved Leonard!  For a few years I've been telling people that you're quite jolly these days and had shed the gloom that was characteristic of your music in the 1960s and '70s.   Then last week you  released a new album which scuppered my plans to re-brand you as Mr Perky.  It comes highly acclaimed, and quite rightly so.  The lyrics are glorious and then there is that voice that, even in your eighties, oozes seduction and vulnerability.  A critic in the Observer shared a quote.   'No can say naked as nakedly as Leonard Cohen.' Yowzah!

'You Want It Darker' is a sombre offering indeed from a man who announced last week that he 'was ready to die'.    It's rather wonderful though, full of the poetry that sets my heart racing.  I'm sharing 'Treaty', the second song on my album. These words stopped me in my tracks the other day.  They are very representitive of this man's genius.

'I heard the snake was baffled by his sin
He shed his scales to find the snake within
But born again is born without a skin
The poison enters into everything.'

12 comments:

  1. As you know, Leonard is one of my all time favourites too. I had forgotten that there was a new album out…partly because I don't tend to buy CDs these days and only occasionally listen to music in the car. This track is beautiful…..and as ever the accompanying music is superb too. I know exactly what that Observer critic meant! Leonard's voice gives me shivers up my spine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I knew you'd be commenting Frances and happy to give your memory a jog! xx

      Delete
  2. I have only heard the title track but love it. I have to laugh at the idea of LC being sold as Mr Perky! I have to say when I feel sad I play LC and it lifts my spirits especially Dance me to the end of Love. I have asked for the CD for my birthday next week, can't wait tho hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Anton had 'Dance me to the end of love' as the first song for his wedding too. I find 'Go no more a roving', a Byron poem set to music very uplifting. xx

      Delete
  3. Wow! How did I miss that he had a new CD out! I have everything he has ever done and have been a fan since my teens. None of my friends understood this! I thought "Closing time" was particularly perky! "I'm your man" was always a favourite of mine. I will put this on my Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'I'm your man' and 'The future' are my favourite albums but the last one, 'Problem problems' has been added to this list.xx

      Delete
  4. I just listened to 'Treaty', it is beautiful. Love the bare, pared backed style. I saw an interview with Leonard where he dismissed and joked about his 'i am ready to die' statement as being dramatic. Glad to hear that. He is pure joy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I heard that too. Respect! I can be a bit dramatic at times myself!! xx

      Delete
  5. When I last saw him live, he was just short of his 79th birthday. He claimed he was going to start smoking again on his 80th. Looks like he kept to it. I could listen to him read a phone book. I'd love to him live again, but that seems less and less likely. 'Perky' sounds like a good description to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at the O2 for the Live in London recording. I was quite near the front. Louis swears that he can hear me whooping on the album and you know, I don't think he's wrong. Wouldn't it be lovely if he did another concert tour? xx

      Delete
  6. Could have sworn you were sat four rows in front of me at an ABC concert in Bournemouth last Friday night! So convinced that I nearly spoke to "you". Ha ha. Great show btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it was not me. I've never been recognised. Stardom eludes me - thank goodness!! xx

      Delete