Friday, 21 October 2016

Bit By Bit


The princely price of two Euros was the price that I paid for this lovely print of the Eckmuhl lighthouse that I visited in August.  What a long time ago that seems!


It seems that I was having a rare spending spree as I also bought this one as well for a few more shekels than the first.  The pictures are now hanging in my hallway and landing with upstairs and downstairs being tied together by a theme.


In spite of my attempts to tart it up these areas in my house are a mess.  Here's a little pocket of shabbiness under the window at the top of the stairs.  Maybe when they were being sensible when the last owners painted over the thick '60s wallpaper.  It's going to be a devil to get off as my first attempts have demonstrated.  I was relieved though that the wall underneath doesn't seem too crumbly and cracked.  I thought that the faux wood panelling could have been covering up a multitude of sins.

As any DIY-er knows these bits of the house seem to take ages to decorate. It seems to me that they're the least rewarding places to transform. After all you're not going to sit out there afterwards  admiring your handiwork for more than the length of time it takes to pull a pair of boots off.  The days of sitting out in a chilly hall with the handset of a rickety landline phone pressed to the ear are long over.


Here's the stair carpet that I inherited on moving in.  It's not really to my taste, too muted.  In an ideal world I'd be changing it for something funkier and brighter but that would be  a bit wasteful as it's perfectly serviceable.  I have noticed that some of the colours in it match those in the pictures  That could draw everything together in my refurbished space.


Normally I'm one for snowy white walls but in a hall with a dado I reckon a bit of colour may be nice on the bottom section.  I've chosen a beige-yellow which will go with the carpet and the pictures.  When I've veered from the virginal in the past I've always liked the hues on offer from Crown rather than the other manufacturers.  They don't stock it at B&Q anymore.  A lady there gave me the nod that the company might not be making their ready mixed stuff for much longer.  So I nipped down to Trago Mills and bought the last two tubs of Egyptian Sand vinyl silk.  It's now sitting precariously on a shelf in the utility room for when I need it.


I've got a lovely parquet floor downstairs.  That should scrub up nicely!   As I don't have big chunks of time to devote to a DIY project at the moment I thought that I might be able to decorate little by little, a panel at a time.  The fact that it's not a space that I spend inordinate amounts of time in works in my favour this time around.  If I start soon I should be finished, oh by at least the end of December 2017!

10 comments:

  1. Would you be able to use a wallpaper stripper to soften it at all? Just a thought.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plan to use the attachment on my steam cleaner. It will still be a bit of a job though!.xx

      Delete
  2. You are doing such a fabulous job, bit by bit. It is hard to tear out good stuff that isnot to your taste, so working with what you have is a good strategy. We lived with brand new blueish grey carpet for 14 years before finally putting hardwood in the dining and entry and then another two years before replacing the same stuff in the living room that adjoined the wood space.I like neutrals and natural materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have similar taste. I like to combine my neutral and natural with bright coloured accessories and pictures. xx

      Delete
  3. I love the wood floor. Try a magic eraser on the wood floor before you bring out the big guns on it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a brilliant idea. I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.!! xx

      Delete
    2. If you rub beeswax polish into it once it's clean and then buff it off it will bring out the grain [it can be slippery so take care]. Wooden block floors really benefit from a feed and it stops them from drying out. Once or twice a year is fine. I do this quite often when cleaning for my clients.
      Arilx

      Delete
    3. It's very handy to have a cleaning maestro as a mate. Thanks Aril! xx

      Delete
  4. If I lived 500 miles nearer to you, I'd help you restore that parquet floor. I love it and would be happy to spend time bringing it back to life! ( I'm retired-can you tell?:-)) Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet. Please move down here immediately! xx

      Delete