Saturday, 15 October 2016

Denied My Little Lie In

My washing machine gave up the ghost last week.  I should have seen it coming. A few washes ago there was a loud thumping noise during the cycle which didn't subsequently fix itself.  I suspect that I'd forgotten to retrieve something from Louis' pocket before putting it into the drum for this is one of my bad mother traits.  I shut the door on the cacophony from the utility roon, a grandiose term for a space that is no bigger than my downstair loo.  Silly girl!  Now the bloody thing is not draining.  If I open this trap thing at the bottom of the machine it turns my ground floor into a paddling pool.

In the past I've turned to The Washing Machine Manual , a Haynes one just like various men in my life have used to mend cars.  It's helped me to fix my own appliance previously but this time around I'm scuppered.  Some of the screws are wedged tight and the pump, which I suspect is blocked with pocket detritus, is out of sight.  So I've opted for the repair services from Currys.  It has an all inclusive price of £119, expensive I know but if they can't fix the machine I don't pay anything.  I've been allocated a four hour slot that starts in  ten minutes time, at 7:35am.  Eeek!  That's inordinately early for a Saturday.

Now I like a lie in at the weekend. Who wouldn't in a bed like mine with its plumptious pillows, cosy blankets and fairy lights?  I've opted to illustrate this post with its picture as it's far prettier than the faulty white good downstairs.  Not that I snooze until mid morning.  I'm awake but stay between the sheets until 9-ish, reading, supping tea, pondering deep and insignificant questions about life, the universe and everything.  It's a pleasing contrast to the rushed start of my weekdays.  But today it's not going to happen.  Bah!  Just punishment maybe for burying my head in the sand and ignoring a problem that wasn't going to go away on its own.

8 comments:

  1. I do that, ignore things and hope that they might sort themselves out. My seven year old laptop was limping along, throwing up all sorts of odd things and finally it has died. Now to be bamboozled by assistants in shops blinding me with tech speak before I have a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes - I avoid electrical/electronic shops like the plague and buy everything online after doing my own research. It mostly works out! xx

      Delete
  2. We regualllry put things off too long, and then have a bigger source of problem. I too am denied my lie in, but by chose to attend a local blogger conference, so I am at on eof my colleges alma mater for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I know and it's dead comfy as well! xx

      Delete
  4. The problem sounds like the broken tiling and grouting in my bathroom. I keep hoping it will go away but now there's damp coming through to the bedroom wall and a mould patch on the carpet.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a mushroom in my sun room. My brother fixed that for me! xx

      Delete