Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Gratuitous Violence




Louis and I watched this the other night and it made us giggle a lot.  Peeps out there who don't have a whole bunch to do with kids might not realise that in the early 2000s, sanitised versions of this, our favourite  vintage cartoon show, were produced.    There was  none of the violence that lead to the instantaneous eruption of a 'Tom and Jerry bump' on the head as cat, mouse and often Spike the dog,  fought tooth and nail in the most inventive of ways.  Louis made me watch one of the woosy new episodes once when he was a nipper.  He thought it was great.  'This is absolute rubbish!' I declared 'You wait 'til you see the old stuff!'

Of course my son was skeptical.  After us oldies are always harping on about how better it was in their childhood days.  Coincidentally I soon found a DVD of the original show and of course, Louis was hooked. He learned a very valuable lesson.  Love and peace has no place in the world of imaginery cat and mouse capers!



4 comments:

  1. I absolutly agree with you about the old Tom and Jerry cartoons as does my 17 yo daughter. We've told her about some of the old comedies that used to be on the TV that will never see the light of day because of the polical correctness of today. But they were funny.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No re-runs of 'On the Buses' then???!!!x

      Delete
  2. Oh lordy it was the same when they cleaned up Dennis the Menace and Gnasher. My son was outraged.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that had. That's scandalous! xx

      Delete