Sunday, 23 October 2016

Le Doggy Bag

I've taken today's title as the excuse to hop on over to Pixabay and choose myself a beguiling photograph.  I know that there's a lot of animal lovers who read my blog so I hope that this cutie is a bit of a treat for you guys. If I ever decided to have a dog I think I might choose a spaniel. They're pretty but feisty, like the tomboys of the canine world.

Back to the task in hand!  I've written before about our practice of asking for a doggy bag when we're eating out and there's too much to eat.   After all there's no shame in cutting food waste and saving the cost of a couple of meals in the process. In fact I'm sure Louis now orders food in eateries  with the idea in mind that he'd like some leftovers!

We had a lovely meal in France in the summer in a restaurant that we've eaten in before, La Chaumiere in the  Breton fishing town of Guilvinec.  Now this isn't a fancy tourist joint.  They don't speak English and there's a three course menu du jour seemingly aimed at the town's workers given the clientele. I opted for this and had a monkfish salad with a raspberry vinaigrette,  a beautifully cooked tuna steak and chips and a chocolate mousse all for the princely sum of eleven euros.  There's few places in England that you could get such a culinary bargain.   I wolfed the lot down in situ.  After all we'd been cycling and I'd built up a healthy appetite.    Lou embarrassed my inner food snob by asking for an adult sized portion of chicken nuggets from the kid's menu.  He'd had these on his last visit and they're home made by the chef.  Of course there was too much and he was pleased about that.

'What's the word for doggy bag Mum?' he asked.  A quick Google search yielded the answer, not 'le sac du chien' but yep, exactly the same as the title of today's post.   Apparently some French  chefs feel the term is enough of an affront  without it being turned into a proper French phrase.  They think it infers that their cooking is only fit for dogs.  Silly peeps!  Surely they should think it's a compliment that someone wants to eat their food all over again in the comfort of their own home.  But attitudes are changing.  Since 1 January French restaurants over a certain size have to offer take out containers and with the change in law our cousins over the Channel are coming around to the idea. Viva le doggy bag!


6 comments:

  1. Your reasoning is sound-wouldn't a 1/2 eaten plate be more a snub than taking home what's left? Now I want homemade chicken nuggets.mmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, as a former chef I'd be delighted that somebody liked my food enough to take it home with them and enjoy it the next night. Mind you, we usually ask to "wrap and take" when we're in India and haven't finished our dinner, not intending to eat it later but to feed all the strays with it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad for validation from a former chef. Thanks Vix. xx

      Delete
  3. There's a posh hotel here wot I goes to occasionally for arfternoon tea and they offer to box up what you don't eat. I confess - I specifically go there JUST for the doggy bag - though doggy cardboard box is more apt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Doggy cardboard box' gave me a giggle. Ta! xx

      Delete
  4. I love asking for a doggie bag, it assuages ny guilt over wasting any food which I HATE doing! It is ridiculous that someone might feel insulted so I am glad of the change.

    ReplyDelete