Friday, 28 October 2016

Little Lanes

Devon has the largest road network for any county in the UK. So you'd think we'd all be effortlessly zipping around  between the moors, sea and the pretty towns and villages.  How wrong you'd be!

Some of our roads are tiny. Barely big enough for my compact little Citigo to squeeze through.   I'm used to them now. But I still recall the horror when I was a rookie in my job. I took a trip out to Thurlestone as the proud 'owner' of a brand new lease car, my first ever Skoda.  There was a pile up in a single track lane  and I watched with horror as the school bus took wing mirrors off other vehicles in the bottleneck.

One of my favourite routes through Brixham up to my house takes me through teeny tiny winding streets of some of the severest gradients I've ever encountered.  It feels like  I'm in the 'Italian Job' when I'm nipping through.  My poor American friend, the Second Martha Stewart, looked like she needed smelling salts to revive her after her Sat-Nav took her that way when she visited last Christmas.

Here's a scene from yesterday on my way between Kingsbridge and Ivybridge.  This is a pretty wide lane in the scheme of things but it's a busy route.  Lorries getting themselves into a bit of a situation is common place.   Nothing for it but to sit in the queue and watch the drama unfold!

6 comments:

  1. There is one really tight spot on the back roads in Totnes, where you are on the side of the hill, like a V. The road cambers down heavily to the left, red mud slides across the road in winter when it has rained. I remember when I was probably 20, coming around the corner to see a car on its roof on top of the hedge on the right and a tractor through the hedge on the left on the wrong side of the road. It really shook me up, everyone was safe, just bruises. I can say from then on I drove slower everywhere. And that moment in time, probably saved my life this time last year in my crash.

    Like you say, best to sit in the traffic and watch. Plus you have the lovely Devon to look at. There is no place better is there...

    Have a nice weekend Lovelygrey. Walk along the harbour wall for me?! Have a good look out to sea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know that spot. Had planned that harbour walk. I need to show it off to someone. xx

      Delete
  2. I once laid down in the road and I reached from side to side, had husband take photo, to show how small English roads can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought a new to us motorhome in July. Because of a medical condition, my husband is off driving duties. Our first holiday a week after buying "Elvis" the Eldiss was to your neck of the woods and on a day trip the *#'!* satnav took us up a lane that was about 6" wider than the van. We enjoyed the bus service for the rest of the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I nearly got my poor Klaus in a terrible predictament like that. And I'm the same. Once he's parked up somewhere it's public transport, Shanks' pony or the bike for me. xx

      Delete