Wednesday, 19 October 2016

Neat Science

I went to the Science Fair at Lou's school last night. It was fun although apparently UK health and safety rules now forbid that trick where a whole load of people hold hands and get an electric shock from a Van der Graaf Generator.  At my favourite stall, a boy who was almost the direct opposite of Louis, neat and serious, shared his passion for bio-diesel.  He'd knocked some up in the science labs  made out of various culinary oils and sodium hydroxide, a posh name for a chemical that is known in B&Q as drain cleaner.  A tiny bit of it burnt for 3-4 minutes. It made me toy  unrealistically with an idea. Could I could start some sort of secret squirrel processing plant in my shed with the old cooking fat from one of our local fish and chip shops? It would be extreme thrifting to cut the not insubstantial costs of the conventional diesel that Leif guzzles.

Because people get funny these days about you taking pictures of their  kids as well as zapping them with static electricity I didn't take photos.  So in celebration of the event I'm going to direct you to follow this link that leads to the TED-Ed interactive periodic table .  My inner geek loves the periodic table.  It is such a gorgeously clever piece of data organisation and some of the names of elements are lovely, Seaborgium, Tantulum and Ununbium.  TED's version is fascinating.  There are videos for each element often featuring a stereotypically mad scientist type.  Loads to hold my interest whenever I fancy a little fix of science.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great evening. I am all for kids getting excited about science. Not sure a lab in your shed is a wise idea though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I only said it for effect. xx

      Delete
  2. I think of an episode form Being Human where the younge wearwolf was saving the grease from the cafe he and his good vampire friend worked at to make something to fight the bad vampires. Hmm, secrets by the sea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No vampires here I think. Maybe it's because some kid is intent on manufacturing biodiesel. xx

      Delete