Saturday, 1 October 2016

Paper Straws et al

Salty Dog is the girl who persuaded many bars in Antigua to stock paper rather than plastic straws by handing out samples and information leaflets.  Here's the boy in James Dean mode demonstrating that they're a perfectly viable alternative.  So my environmentally active mate was really excited to hear about  France banning plastic crockery and cutlery by 2020,   Can't the counter argument about the ban being encouragement to litter be overcome by a bit of education for the ignoramuses who think that it's perfectly acceptable to strew paper based products all over the landscape on the basis that they'll eventually turn to mush?

I've been thinking about my own  individual environmental footprint again lately.  A man at Fishstock told me that most bio-degradable plastic just breaks down into the type of tiny particle that causes marine life to have a tummy ache and die when they eat it.  I hadn't thought of that before.  Can I reduce my own consumption of plastic by being more careful about my consumer choices?  A move away from over packaged supermarket veg to using the greengrocer and  choosing toiletries that don't come in plastic bottles are the first ideas I've come up with.  Little steps towards a better world.  We can't ignore problems just because they seem too big.  Small improvements do make a difference if enough of us make an effort.  I'll let you know down the line how I'm getting on.

7 comments:

  1. I was concerned to read that all those fleece jackets made from recycled plastics leach microbeads every time they are laundered, which get into the oceans and kill marine life. Like you, I am taking baby steps in this journey towards less plastic in my lifestyle. But it is jolly difficult. I love those stripey paper straws. Childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. Luckily I don't own much fleece anymore and might be loathe to buy it in the future because of this. xx

      Delete
  2. I did not know that about the biodegradable plastic. I look to avoid products with the microbeads but this changes my thoughts on what I thought was a good alternative. No more take out coffee in those cups has been my biggest recent change. I drink it there in hard cup or bring my own reusable. Little efforts collectively help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool about the coffee cups. Well done. xx

      Delete
  3. That is bad news about fleece, I like to keep warm in it. I shall have to go back to knitted things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have one fleece coat these days. Maybe dry cleaning would be the answer if it wasn't for those nasty chemicals. Aren't our choices hard these days? xx

      Delete