Sunday, 9 October 2016

Thanks Laura

As I haven't mentioned it for some time I bet that some of you thought that I'd given up on  the NHS's Couch to 5K.  I'm not surprised if you did.  It's not unknown that I'll start a project and not see it through to fruition. My lovely friend,  Reiki Ray, who combines hocus pocus with being very funny, blames it on me being an Aries.

But again I can say 'Oh ye of little faith!' For today with the help of my perky virtual friend Laura and a whole bunch of cheesy motivational music,  I've completed the plan.    Okay it took a little longer than intended.    Grieving and a holiday scuppered my idea of keeping to the scheduled nine weeks.  It took about four months all told.   And I'm still quite slow.  I can do 5K but only if you take the warm up and warm down into account.  I am a veritable racing snake but of the boa constrictor with a tummy full of antelope type.

Even so,  I'm still proud of my achievement.  To think that I can run for thirty times longer than I did in June.   That's amazing!  It demonstrates what can be achieved by taking things slowly first of all.  A lesson that I might think about applying to other areas of my life maybe?    There's definitely cause to celebrate.  Whoop! Whoop!  I don't want a medal but there might be a lime and chilli ice cream with my name on it down at the harbour later.

The other week I met Mark in the corridor at the hospital where I work.  He's the brilliant physiotherapist who looked after me after my knee op.   He was chuffed to bits that I was running and confirmed that Couch to 5K is a jolly sensible way of getting fit.  And I'm pleased to say that he didn't pooh-pooh my idea of a half marathon in 2017. Instead  he directed me to the My Asics app.  I've popped in my current pace and the date of the next Bristol half marathon.  Et voila!  An expected time of about two and three quarter hours and a plan of how to achieve my goal.  Somewhere down the line my competitive streak has been awakened. I'd really like to better that prediction!

8 comments:

  1. I am impressed. I can break into a sort of trot if I have to…….for instance if I can see the dog eating something off the ground when we are out, probably something revolting! I couldn't run for years while my knee was bad, and even after the half knee replacement over 5 years ago I don't run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulously! And very very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done and congratulations. I will go back and read your beginning and maybe take in some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations...that's brilliant news!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you! I finished couch to 5k in September last year and have barely run since. I keep hoping for a definite diagnosis, possible treatment, or at least finding out what is best for me, and a return to running; I never thought I'd say that when I was crying in week 1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The increase from 60 seconds in week 1 to 90 seconds in week 2 was the hardest for me. Hope you get a diagnosis soon. Knowing and being able to plan is always good. Take very good care of yourself. J xx

      Delete
  6. I can barely walk so I won't be entering any running competitions. Well done you though! x

    ReplyDelete