Sunday, 13 November 2016

A Different Run

This is me!!!! My prowess in running is coming on leaps and bounds albeit teeny ones.  A little jog around the streets of my hometown three times weekly has become part of my normal  routine.   I still use the soundtrack from Week 9 of Couch to 5K to jolly me along on weekdays. Then at weekends I extend the distance I run, pacing myself with music that is much less upbeat than you'd expect a jogger to be listening to.  Think my usual indie  folk rather than technopop.  It helps me  keep to a speed where I complete the course rather than ending up in a quivering heap on the pavement halfway round.

While I'm in Somerset is it possible to  have a little rest from my exercise routine? Can I hell!  Lovelybloke has taken on the role of coach with gusto. Bless, he's planned routes for me in the lanes around his Somerset home.  And  he comes with me, probably because he's worked out that my sense of direction is awful, and that I could be missing for three days if I went alone.  He insists he's not built for running so cycles alongside.  I warned him that if he was going to get all Sargeant Major-y and bark orders from a megaphone I'd send him back home anyway.  But it's not like that. He's been gently encouraging and doesn't take the piss like Mr Metrosexual and Ruff Stu who tell me that I run like a crab.

It's refreshing t o be exercising somewhere different.  There's a beautiful new visual landscape to take in on my circuit here.  But I found it's  harder psychologically.  Something about not knowing the route here affected my stamina on my first trip out.  I felt that I had to break my running with a little walk a couple of times.  It was silly but I feared not finishing a course that is actually shorter than the one that I usually do at home.   So maybe I should step out of the comfort zone of routine a little more and plan some circuits away from my usual one a little more often. It could be time for one of those Parkruns one weekend very soon.

6 comments:

  1. God you're impressive. When I first met Lovejoy the most amount of exercise we did was the short 15 minute walk into Oxford from his house and a stagger around all the fab Oxford pubs lol. This was more than ok for Lovejoy as he ran and cycled during the week I just got fatter and fatter until I had to take myself in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With winter coming right as I'm less mobile I fear for my own increasing waistline and potato figure. With that, I'll root you on to new running afventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get harder to exercise in the winter. However I've got my coach now and I've just arranged my Parkrun with a friend next Saturday. xx

      Delete
  3. I am pleased you are enjoying the running. I keep thinking about it and then get snuggly. My behind wont he happy when its as wide as a bus... hey ho... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have toned up a little and would like to lose the tummy but not become a skinny Minnie. I like my curves. Will have to keep eating heartily to compensate for my 'athleticism'! xx

      Delete