Sunday, 27 November 2016

Bristol for Breakfast

I nipped up to Bristol on Friday evening to see Red Mel. It's an onerous task spending time in the city that's been voted the 4th most inspiring in the world but someone's got to do it.  My martyrdom knows no bounds.  Lovelybloke?  Well, he was on call, in a patch that seemingly covers half the Northern hemisphere.  He needs a time machine not a van!  So girl time it was then.

We went to a delightful  restaurant called Pho, one of a chain serving Vietnamese streetfood.  It had everything: gorgeous food with a squid starter to die for, lovely staff,  interesting art, a fascinating building.  And cutlery for when Westerners get arsed off with trying to wrap noodles around a couple of twigs. There were nachos and dirty fries on Saturday lunchtime at the Bristol Brewhouse where we met Red Mel's son, Oli.  It would have been rude not to have tried the beer that's made on the premises too.  We also hit the charity shops in Clifton and ka-ching!  I am the proud owner of three dresses that came in at £19 in total.  No wonder I'd even find shopping in Primark and Peacocks a bit pricy in comparison these days.



Back to the noodles!  I've been meaning to write a post about the weird and wonderful breakfasts that I conjure up for some time now.  Why stick to tea and toast when there's a selection of leftovers in the fridge? Lou's rather partial to a soup based start to the day and was even spotted wolfing down a portion of his very own ribs the other morning. If I'm feeling very naughty I'll go for something sweet.  Homemade trifle recently made for a very successful start to the day.

We ordered too much food at Pho.  Yippee a doggy bag!  My idea of combining our leftovers, stirfried with beaten egg and served with wholemeal bread and butter was a super delicious winner.  This Asian take on scrambled egg made a fine alternative to an English fry up!

6 comments:

  1. It looks a bit like something the cat didn't like, but I am sure it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Mel says my food photography always looks okay. P'haps not! xx

      Delete
  2. I love Pho in London - and love Bristol too! Glad to see you had a good time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I might visit some other branches around the country as I come across them. xx

      Delete
  3. We have a lot of pho restaurants but I never grew a fondness for it, but Vietnamese version of chow me in and spring rolls, I'm there. Of course you had to try the beer and would love to see the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I had - not the soup! xx

      Delete