Sunday, 6 November 2016

Days Out In Somerset: Fleet Air Arm Museum




 If I'm going to a museum or gallery my personal preference is for a bit of art or a really thought provoking exhibit.  Like that Happy Show that we were privileged to see in Vancouver last year. But as the mother of a boy there are compromises to be made. It's not uncommon for me to end up in places with a distinctly blokey feel.  And so it was yesterday that we trawled up at the Fleet Air Arm Museum near Yeovil.   Here's one of the first exhibits we saw, a cloth aeroplane loaded with missiles.  What could possibly go wrong?



And the winner of the BF naming competition is Sol from Be Sol Be! I took Lovelybloke along for moral support as he lives nearby.  You nosey lot wanted a photo.  Well here he is 'flying' a helicopter with Louis.
Maybe he's shy?



The museum consists of four large halls telling the story of naval aviation.  So you've guessed it there are rather a lot of aeroplanes.  To be honest the way that many of the exhibits are presented is a bit dated. It seemed like the museum needs a good spruce up to bring it up to 21st century standards.  We enjoyed our virtual trip on an aircraft carrier but were a little perturbed by the wiggy mannequins.  They definitely could have done with new heads of hair.  And it was dark in there. That's why all my photos came out a bit yellowy.  Tucked away in a corner was some stuff about female aviators.  I've only included Valentina Tereshkova here as Louis has named one of his two hamsters after her.  They are Russian after all.







The pride of the collection has to be Concorde.  It's the only thing I remember from a previous visit on a summer holiday trip when I was a teenager.  It's rather sad that this wonderful plane isn't in service any more as it's magnificent.





Here's Lou fiddling with controls.  It's got  to be done in these types of places.




And me flying a plane in a low tech kind of way.  See what I mean about that update?



Oh okay then.  Let's get on with it.  I'm sure I'm supposed to be coming up with some incredible facts about aircraft that land on boats. But it's really not my bag.  Instead here's Lovelybloke because I know that those who frequent my little  corner of Blogland are dying to see him.   Yes, that's definitely a good name for him. He's funny and smiley!


16 comments:

  1. ...and obviously is well deserving of his Lovelybloke name! Does Lou like him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - he has a partner in crime now! xx

      Delete
  2. He does look lovely ! Say Hi to him from me and I hope to hear a lot more about him in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't do ungorgeous. Perhaps I am shallow?! xx

      Delete
  4. Hooray Hooray thats the first thing I have won for years! Love the picture of you in the plane.

    p.s. Lovelybloke has nice eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - sorry that there isn't a proper prize attached! xx

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear Lou has taken to him....double trouble! I look forward to hearing more.....
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased too. Passing muster with Lou was an important part of his initiation process! xx

      Delete
  6. looks like a great day out, my no 2 son would love it. Lovely bloke seems like a lovely bloke !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Handsome man but more importantly, great smile. My youngest, despite her female status, was hard to pry from the Smithsonian air and space museum. She'd love this museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'd love a space museum. There was one in Vancouver but I don't think it was open on the day that we tried to visit. xx

      Delete
  8. He certainly looks like a good'un. I like your hair that length too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very lovely. Going with longer hair these days. Keeps Mum happy xx

      Delete