Saturday, 5 November 2016

Fall

Ah my bloggy friends in America.  Your use of language can be bizarre to us in Blighty and, let's be honest, sometime plain wrong.  Take all those parts of cars where you must have decided to fiddle about with perfectly good British names.  A trunk is a big box that kids take to boarding schools like Hogwarts, not the storage space in the back of the car.  That's the boot and it's not at all strange that it has the same name as an item of footwear.   An eggplant does not bear any resemblence to anything that comes out of  the back of a chicken. It would be a very sick bird if it laid something like that.

But although autumn is a fine word in itself I do love the fact that you call this season 'fall'.  It's so simplistic and but beautifully sums up the nature of this time of year.

My lovely work colleagues and I are blessed with this beautiful tree outside our office window.   All of us, apart from our team leader have revelled in its beauty.  He is nonplussed and we told him that he has no soul. I took a picture of it the other day when the sun was shining and the light quality was better.  But alas it was rather spoilt by a reflection of my Galaxy Note. So you'll have to make do with this image that was taken twenty four hours on.  The day was gloomy and with each gust of wind leaves cascaded to the ground.  I reckon it will be bare next week.








On another theme I urged you all to 'look down' the other day.  I did so when I was taking my pictures yesterday and thought the leaves carpetting the path were wonderful.  It was like confetti for giants, a mosaic of colour that brightened up a normally boring path.  Yes I will reiterate.  'Fall' is a fine word here!

9 comments:

  1. Every autumn drive or walk makes me happy and I marvel at mother natures beauty. The leaves seem especially colourful this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our drive to Somerset yesterday was lovely. Leaves were cascading towards the car down the lanes. xx

      Delete
  2. Fall is how we remember how to sey clocks for Daylight Savings as in "Spring forward-Fall back". I love leaves on the ground and the crunchyness. Little pleasures. Same language different words, I guess you English are technically more correct since you own the title but I'll still be putting my groceries in my trunk to drive home to make egg plant parmagian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the little reminding words. I jested here. I don't think either country are technically correct when it comes to lingo. I love discovering the differences. xx

      Delete
  3. I believe term 'fall' for autumn is actually old English but went out of use here. Short for 'fall of the leaf' ( obviously !!! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah my lesson learnt for the day. Thanks xx

      Delete
  4. I could never understand the appeal of Autumn until I began cycling to work. Now it is wonderful to notice the changing colour of the leaves and see them blowing from the trees in the breeze. Now I understand, I just never noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful isn't it. Just off out for my run. I wonder if it will be like that here! xx

      Delete
  5. I, too, think that Fall was originally English; and hasn't this year's been absolutely wonderful? The best that I can remember for some years. I hope that there is still some left to us.

    ReplyDelete