Thursday, 10 November 2016

Salt and Bubbles

The Second Martha Stewart loves beurre caramel salé.  That's salty caramel sauce to you anglophones.  I try to remember to bring her some back from Brittany whenever I go. But on my trip this summer I forgot. I can be a dippy mare at times but am self forgiving.  There's only so much stuff that a person can hold in their hand.

'How difficult can it be to make my own version?'  I thought.  After all I'm a proud owner of a ne'er used sugar thermometer.   It should probably be decluttered but looks dead posey in that wheelie carousel utensil thing that sits by my hob.

I popped into Sainsbury's and bought a squat Kilner jar and then I filled it with my own caramel sauce, flavoured with Maldon Sea Salt of course as I am an Essex girl.  Easy peasy.   That sugar thermometer remained redundant still.   The recipe came from the Guardian's column where they cobble together the instructions for perfect recipes. The bubbly picture above shows the water droplets which formed on the sugar as it caramelised.  I've never seen anything quite like it during a cookery process.  It was dead cool!

6 comments:

  1. That looks brilliant! I may investigate that Guardian recipe myself (I also have a sugar thermometer... only lightly used for cheesemaking years ago).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - when you buy a sugar thermometer you have such high hopes for it and then.....! xx

      Delete
  2. lol I too have a never used sugar thermometer. I love salted caramel so will wander over to Felicity Cloake and have a look. I do remember reading her round up of beef wellington recipes and following her instructions to the letter with bloody disastrous results. I found a much easier recipe and went off her after that. That salted caramel sauce might just redeem her though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I've had a similar 'mare with one of her recipes and just went back to my good old Stork cookbook! x

      Delete
  3. I am licking my lips at the though of that sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to make some for myself. After all it would be silly not to taste. xx

      Delete