Sunday, 20 November 2016

The Demise of Mabel

The CQC inspectors are coming!  For those that aren't in the know these are the people who regulate care services, including the NHS, in the UK.  They make sure we're properly looking after the people that we serve.   And quite right too.  As part of the preparations for their visit our office is having a spruce up.

Here's a wonky shot of a card depicting Mabel who decorated the pinboard next to my desk.  No knitting and back episodes of 'Come Dine With Me'  on daytime TV for her!  I thought that she was a fine example of someone casting all those ageist stereotypes of what old women do to the wind. However, with a new found perspective on the way things need to be Boss Man  begs to differ. He'd been to a meeting where he'd been urged to purge the working environment before the inspectors' impending visit.  With his fresh eyes he viewed my wall art dimly. Apparently it falls firmly into the category of 'seaside postcard type humour'  which is now a no-no. 'Get rid of Mabel.' he ordered.  I've obeyed and alas, she is no more. I'll miss her though. She's made me smile for a long time.



12 comments:

  1. Love her, that'll be me, I intend on growing old very disgracefully! Teehee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to embrace disgracefulness a little too! xx

      Delete
  2. I worked as a supply teacher in an very old school where the staff toilet block was outside. Inside the female section the walls were papered with two things: amusing comments made by pupils, and pictures of the Chippendales and other scantily clad blokes. I often wondered what they did when Ofsted Visited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps Ofsted inspectors have strong bladders and that's how the staff had a lucky escape! xx

      Delete
  3. I remember getting our office spruced up for a visit from the CQC and I was designated to abandon my home visits to chat to them and show them round etc. Show them round? can't they just stand in the middle of the office and look round, anyway after all the fuss and anxiety they never bloody came. They made it to the floor below which was the occupational health dept but decided it was lunch time and buggered off, we didn't find this out until 4 o'clock. Talking about Mabel my lovely 86 year old mum has spent most of the summer in Puglia with her Italian boyfriend and is planning to go again next year I kid you not lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes those funny quips make hard day's barable.I hope an equally funny less scandalized Mabel can be found.

      Delete
  4. It reminds me very much of some of the happenings downstairs many moons ago !!! Ha ha.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I know exactly what you're talking about. Glad you've worked out how to comment mate! xx

      Delete