Friday, 4 November 2016

Big Town, Little Town Plastic Bans

The sale of plastic bottles is going to be phased out in San Francisco. Wonderful news!   Here at home the town of Modbury have done their bit to curb pollution and waste.  For nearly ten years  this little town, which  is in my working patch, has been plastic bag free.  Of course that doesn't mean that you won't see someone walking down the street with a Tesco carrier. Duh!  They're not going to be shot at dawn for doing so.  This is rural Devon after all.  No, what it means is that none of the town's traders give out plastic bags.  Shoppers are offered biodegradable or cloth ones instead.  The people here are so proud of their green achievement that they announce it on their town sign.  Perhaps San Fran will be able do the same in years to come.

A trip through Modbury is an alternative to negotiating that route between Ivybridge and Kingsbridge which has a bit of a tendency to clog up.  I'll be going that way a  bit more often from now on.  For Salty Dog has given me a tip off.  The town is also home to the best charity shop in the world.  It's posh around those parts.  Hence the Rowcroft Hospice shop is full of barely worn clothes that rich people don't want anymore. Just the excuse for a little detour!

11 comments:

  1. Not sure about the wording on that sign. It certainly didn't explain to me what it meant. It could mean that they don't charge for bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. I've been writing to our local paper this week to highlight the extra recycling options offered by the group I volunteer for. Hopefully it will encourage more people.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so. I try to do my bit and am always looking for extra ways of reducing what I send to landfill. xx

      Delete
  3. I remember snout 50% of time to bring my own. We have a bag borrow station at work to use if you go shopping on route home. Your asked to return next day. Cool sign to promote the initiative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I normally have my string bag in my handbag - that's purse to you Americans! xx

      Delete
  4. When I was last in Florida I was surprised at how few people brought re-usable tote bags to the grocery store. And even more shocking, I'm pretty sure there's no bottle bill, i.e. recycling soda and water bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's surprising. I would have thought that this type of thing is pretty universal in the First World. xx

      Delete
  5. I've just been doing a bit of catch up blog reading due to the arrival of my new granddaughter and read that your online dating has been successful. I'm so pleased for you I really am as I've said before I met Lovejoy online he's the most gorgeous funny kind man and I wouldn't have met him if I'd not been bullied into going online by my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for kind words. I'm glad I gave it another go. xx

      Delete
  6. Good for Modbury! Though I agree that the sign is a little ambiguous.

    ReplyDelete