Tuesday, 1 November 2016

Tracks

I talked about how young Leonard's lyrics 'stopped me in my tracks' the other day.  And it is so often that language has this effect.   Boom! I'm overwhelmed by its power.  Sticks and stones breaking bones and words never hurting?   I don't think so.  No wonder don Miguel Ruiz refers to using words in terms of weaving magic and casting spells.  Best be careful then and treat them with awe and wonder.

Reiki Ray dropped a DVD on my coffee table a couple of months ago.  For a bloke who looks like he's up for a Friday night fight he's surprising in touch with his feminine side.  'Ere doll.' he said. 'Watch this with your girlies when you get together.  It's a bloody lovely chick flick.'  And so it was that the film 'Under the Tuscan Sun' introduced me to Frances Mayes.  I haven't read any of her books yet but perhaps a couple need to be added to  pile on my next trip away.  I've already shared one quote. Here's a second, a blinder of a metaphor, another track stopper, and this one is about tracks!

'They say they built the train tracks over the Alps, between Vienna and Venice, before there was a train that could make the trip. They built it anyway. They knew one day the train would come.'

5 comments:

  1. I love that film but have never read the book. I need music. I can do with out TV but music, never. Hope you are well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need music too and mostly do without telly. Very well thanks. xx

      Delete
  2. I remember that line. Starting over creating a new life or even a portion of it is scary but most often necessary. It also feels pointless so often until what your building for comes to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but maybe the beauty in building the track is that you may not be able to predict the type of train that will run on them. I love new rather than find it scary. It's exciting. xx

      Delete
    2. Excellent insight. I don't do neat and orderly well anyway.

      Delete