Wednesday, 28 December 2016

A Sequel

After writing a post about mindfulness yesterday I crashed the car on the M25. The irony is not lost on me. Almost a carbon copy of the accident earlier in the month  except no rogue cruise control this time and I was the one who shunted another car in the back when it stopped suddenly  in heavy traffic.  Just a moment of inattention caused such a change to the best laid plans of two  mice and men who anticipated a long evening of chilling at home. Squeak!

Our prolonged journey back to Devon included a two hour spell waiting at the side of the motorway in a refuge area as water was pouring out from under the,car which threatened to overheat thick and fast.  Yet Louis kept me entertained as we froze our socks off on the safe side of the crash barrier.  Is that the rescue people?'  he exclaimed as a family saloon pulled in.  ' 'Oh no, it's just another stranger stopping for a random piss.' There were quite a few people with weak bladders I can tell you.

I was  very touched by the man who stopped just to see if we were okay and gave us a bottle of water.  He was keen to let me know that he was doing it because he was a good Muslim and had been moved to help us.  He also told me to move on and not take the accident to heart.  Bless!  We're still not home yet. The journey developed Bank Holiday complications and the outcome last night was a rescue at Exeter station by the Second Martha Stewart wielding toothbrushes. She brought us to her holiday home in Exmouth and administered TLC  which involved delicious turkey sandwiches. Our luggage is with the car on a driveway in Reading where the breakdown guy prematurely posted keys through a door.  The word pallaver is not unfitting here.

As an addendum to my previous post I 'm surprised to say that  this incident  has not traumatised me.   No-one thankfully got hurt.   And call me a bit loop the loop but what has happened seems to have propelled. me into a state of peace rather than shock.  The Second Martha Stewart is in agreement here that all things happen for a reason!

8 comments:

  1. Well I hope, if things do come in threes, that the 3rd thing is a good one. What a nice man on the motorway, and of course the Second Martha Stewart (you really must get round to doing that index of named characters, as I still have no idea who most of them are!). So glad you weren't hurt, nor presumably the occupants of the car you shunted. Wishing you a peaceful end to the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased that you and Louis weren't hurt. Shame it was such a hassle afterwards though. Thick fog and minus 3 here this morning. Looking forward to the dog walk in a different looking landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're ok.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry this happened to you but so glad you're both ok.Friends and kind strangers make the world go round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh bugger... but at least you are ok and no one hurt. Dude was right. Best laid plans -I know that feeling. Take care m'dears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that Leif will be mended and returned to you, as good as new, in a timely manner! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all kind wishes. Got home safely in the end and have hire car. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry I missed this post. I am glad to read you are well and unhurt.

    ReplyDelete