Thursday, 8 December 2016

Bags and Banter

Here's my latest in the line of Skipping Girl bags,  my third since discovering the brand in 2012. I've also gifted a fair few to my friends.   As I predicted after I bought my first, in a Plymouth charity shop, they're extremely robust.  But after a couple of years the plastic tubng covering the handles splits and they look a bit tatty.  This replacement was an Ebay find that cost the princely sum of £12.  You'll note that I've accesorised it in Abfab style!

I popped into the library yesterday to pick up those Little Prince books that I'd reserved.  A lady in the library enthusiastically complimented my bag.  The strawberries had caught her eye. We had a little chat, a frequent occurrence in Devon, and in my mind, one of the pleasures of living here.  I read an Guardian article about,  the Tube Chat campaign to get Londoners talking to each other on the Underground.   Many are horrified at the thought.   One Tweeter talked about it in terms of 'undermining the fabric of society'.  Strong words indeed!  In my mind they're missing out on little human interactions which can be really rather special.  Off to the Big Smoke on Saturday.  Let's see if I can freak some of the locals!



8 comments:

  1. I once got a conversation between 4 strangers going on the tube in London. It was wonderful! And we all said how much we enjoyed it (on an 8am commute).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful chat with a very funny small boy and his family about the tooth fairy yesterday on the Tube. Mid conversation he managed to pull a tooth out. xx

      Delete
  2. I have made several close friends over the years by chatting to other dog walkers while out. I will chat to anyone who will chat back! Never done it on the tube, though I am rarely to be found in that particular environment !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on first name terms with some of the dog walkers on the green nearby even though I haven't got a dog myself.

      Delete
  3. Nice bag. My daughter scolded me when I said something to someone casually on the tube. She was mortified to learn I also made silly faces with a child and got her to laugh. I was put in my Minnesota Nice place and told never do those things. I love the Reggie Perran commuter scenes where he thinks about getting them all talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Reggie Perrin. Glad he made it stateside.xx

      Delete
  4. People talk to each other here in my bit of Middle England, I am pleased to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just the West Country. xx

      Delete