Sunday, 25 December 2016

Christmas Baubles

I'm sending out the warmest of seasons greetings.  May this day be a truly blessed one for you all.  After a two stage journey with a stop at a hotel just off the  M25, Louis and I finally arrived in deepest darkest Norfolk yesterday where we're sharing the holiday weekend with my family, a happy time together after this, the toughest of years for us.   This isn't an East Anglian scene but one that's very Devonian.  Totnes Market is held on Tuesdays in December and has become a bit of a tradition for me and my son.  I give him a detailed public transport schedule and somehow he manages to turn up at my office just as I'm about to leave for the day.  It's a minor miracle!  We then head off, eat street food, buy presents from the traders and generally take in the  atmosphere.

I  was fully imbibing the festivity when  I came across an Indian man's stall.  I bought these baubles and have given one of them to Lovelybloke.  I thought that it might mirror the scene of the meadow at the front of his house on a day when the wildlife fancy a frolic.  The chap told me that they were hand painted and lacquered in Kashmir by his uncle and grandfather.  It was such a wonderful story and I imagined the scene in that far off land.  After all I like things with provenence.

 With my tendency to take people at face value I didn't predict the  response of my work colleagues when I recounted the story to them. 'Ha!' laughed Chicken Mama.  'He must have seen you coming.  If you get out a magnifying glass I'm sure you'll find 'Made in Taiwan' printed on them somewhere!'.  I can't find it though and refuse to put on a cynical hat.  Maybe, just  maybe the tale is a true one.  Merry Christmas everyone!

14 comments:

  1. I knew you'd find the perfect decoration for Mr LG in the end. They're smashing. Hope you have a lovely Christmas Lovely Grey!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on a mission that was not fulfilled at the Geffrye! Thanks for good wishes. We had a lovely day. xx

      Delete
  2. Seasons greetings and best wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, wherever they were made, they're beautiful anyway. Have a lovely time in Norfolk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, aren't they. Happy Christmas Sooze! xx

      Delete
  4. They are lovey and whether that's the authentic story of their origins or spun with creativity, it's a true story to match your mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are lovely indeed. Seasons greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you Carole. May your Christmas be wonderful. xx

      Delete
  6. Those are gorgeous and, isn't the whole premise of the season - belief?

    I hope it was happy for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sure are pretty. I think I will look and see if he is there when I next go. I hope he wasnt just a Christmas vendor! Hope you had a lovely day

    ReplyDelete