Tuesday, 20 December 2016

Proof That I Am Geeky

Today  I've posted this as it pleased my inner mathematician.   She clapped her hands with glee when she saw it.   It made her heart sing. In my younger days I did a science degree and enjoyed studying maths to a level that went beyond A-level.     Even though I've forgotten most of what I learnt  I reckon its influence still bangs about in the subconscious. For rationality and logic balance out all that Totnesian nonsense that's seeped in from twelve years of working in a town known for its hippie vibes.

There's succinctness to equations, secret codes for the initiated containing truths that it would take many words to express.  Once I did a course about quantum mechanics where a stereotypically nerdy lecturer strung together long lines of symbols, like this one, Ψ!  With a focus at nuclear level he unfolded a story that described the interconnectivity of the whole universe.  Whoah!   I was mesmerised and came out of the building with a head buzzing with joy and wonder.  Who needs mind altering drugs when you've had an encounter with Schrodinger!

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Really glad that there are fellow maths bods out there. xx

      Delete
  2. Equations, logarithms and the like were always a complete mystery to me (still are!). I couldn't see the logic in trying to learn something that I would never use in normal adult life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me they're as much fun as a crossword, quiz or a Sudoku puzzle. xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I've come across many people like you guys. Your brain isn't wired in the same way. xx

      Delete
  4. Terrifying...my Father has a Maths degree and was an actuary. I meanwhile failed my Maths o level 3 times....I was 35 before I got anything higher than a CSE grade 3 when I had to do it for my job. I finally understand fractions!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I've known a lot of bright people who struggle. As I said it's the wiring up top! xx

      Delete
  5. And a Merry Christmas to you too. Hope to call in in the New Year.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you. Have a wonderful time. xx

      Delete
  6. I love numbers and equations but get lost the minute letters beyond a,b,c, x, and t get added. This is quite clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant , but what is Xmas???? Who is the X, isn't it Christmas.and all about Christ, not Mr x.
    Have a happy one Janey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've with you on the sentiment but it would be difficult to substitute the X for C H R I S T instead. Perhaps you can find a Christian mathematician to try!! xx

      Delete
    2. Actually, having thought about it, it's easy. You'd just substitute those letters for the x. Perhaps mix them up a bit in eariler versions for effect. There you go. My maths brain hasn't completely deserted me. xx

      Delete
  8. Haven't the faintest idea what this is about. Anything maths related went straight in one ear and out the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah another person who is different neurologically. You're much better at design than I am though. I have to have instructions to build my shed! xx

      Delete
  9. Oh dear I'm not sure what type of brain I've got can't do maths or build a shed lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect that there's lots of things that you can do that I can't! xx

      Delete
  10. Did you hear that WHOOSH, as it all went over my head?

    ReplyDelete