Sunday, 11 December 2016

The Little Prince (English Version)

I spent yesterday in London with Aril from Gnat Bottomed Towers and then went on for an evening in Essex with my old school friend Calamity Jane.  I've travelled light without my laptop, barely more than clean pants and pyjamas.  It is hard to do a picture post on my phone so you'll have to wait for news of the shenanigans of me and Aril.  She might pip me to the post on her blog.

I re-read 'The Little Prince' on the train.  OMG I'm  glad that I did.  For it is a wise and beautiful tale in so many ways, not least because it reminds us what children can teach us.  Here is my favourite quote that gave food for thought around my own questioning of my kid.

 'Grown-ups like numbers. When you tell them about a new friend, they never ask questions about what really matters. They never ask: "What does his voice sound like?" "What games does he like best?" "Does he collect butterflies?". They ask: "How old is he?" "How many brothers does he have?" "How much does he weigh?" "How much money does his father make?" Only then do they think they know him.'

The illustration is of the little Prince digging up the baobabs before they damaged his planet.  An apt reminder to dig up the bad seeds before they take hold.

Back to the West Country today.  I have the French version of the book for the return journey.  Something tells me that this won't be such a quick read!

3 comments:

  1. I would like to read it in French, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on. It is easier than I thought it was going to be. xx

      Delete
  2. It is something that I read every two years or so, I love it so much and I am glad that you do too. xx

    ReplyDelete