Tuesday, 3 January 2017

2017: A Healthy Start

Like many others and a few of my friends I've chosen to observe a dry January.   This seemed like a massive sacrifice when I did a similar thing before.  It may be a measure of how my health habits have changed but I actually looked forward to it this time around.   In the past I used alcohol as daily medicine to cope with stress.  Many will know that it's an easy habit to get into and a tricky one to break.  Now I use alternative means to do this such as exercise and meditation, giving up the pinky pink juice altogether doesn't seem onerous at all.  And past experience has shown that I lose weight and sleep because of a period of abstinence so that's an extra incentive.

I've also noticed my running seems easier if I haven't had even one beer the night before.  I've got to a stage where I'm more motivated to run than drink.  Wow!  Thankfully  my poorly heel is all better now and I'm back to half marathon training.  I'm wondering if my healthy intentions could help me towards another goal for the month.  I'd like to complete half of the race distance by then.   Keep those fingers firmly crossed for me and pop the kettle on instead of a cork if I'm a visitor.

4 comments:

  1. Well done you. I'm not doing dry January this year but the observations I made and the resulting changes after I did it two years ago have been kept.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think that's it's from previous efforts that behaviours of daily drinking ceased. xx

      Delete
  2. Fingers firmly crossed m'dear. Good luck. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toffeeapple. I have some wonderful loose peppermint tea that Louis bought me for Christmas that's a perfectly acceptable alternative to alcohol. xx

      Delete