Saturday, 21 January 2017

A Good Day At The Office

My commute is so far removed from the dreadful crush that people have to endure in cities all over the world. I shudder   remembering the time when my lips made unintentional contact with a stranger's bare flesh on a crowded tube train just because I needed to turn my head.  Aaaargh! Here's a view that I captured from the Lower Kingswear-Dartmouth Ferry that I use often. My   working day often starts and ends with a journey across the River Dart.  It is so good for the soul.

Let me tell you about a brilliant day at 'the office', a perfect end to a working week.   In my job in a community mental health team I reckon I'm exposed to human suffering more regularly than the average Joe Public. Entire days can be spent walking alongside the very poorly as they experience dreadful inner torment.  Sandwiched between my ferry rides yesterday I had five appointments.  The lovely thing  was that four of my visits were made to people who had emerged from the darkness.   I watched a bit of snooker with one of them and had to wait as another busily made arrangements on the phone to attend a club with her friend.  Just weeks before it seemed impossible to her that she'd ever regain her old life back.   Seeing a man getting so much enjoyment from playing trains with his adorably chatty three year old grandson was an absolute delight.  Best of all,  I got smiles and conversation from someone who'd just been successfully treated after a long stay on a psychiatric ward.   He's not done this in the fifteen months I've known him.   There was hugs and laughter all around on that visit I can tell you.  It made my day!

So I'm telling this story to remind myself why I'm in my job.  What I do helps get people well and back to a life where they can do normal stuff and enjoy time with their friends and family.  It's also a story of hope for those who are currently in the grip of mental illness.  Seek help and support and hang on in there. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you shared. I can't imagine how difficult your work is, but know my family has greatly benefited from your profession. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't as difficult as it might appear from the outside. I'm doing something which is a good match for my personality, values and skills. xx

      Delete
  2. beautiful pictures, great blog thank you, it always makes me feel better. Love this ferry which we use on short breaks to Kingswear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for kind words. I never tire of my little jaunt across the Dart. xx

      Delete