Monday, 16 January 2017

A Quiet One

I had a quick Saturday afternoon trip down to my local with Mr Metrosexual and Ruff Stu. They tried to tempt me off my wagon.  'Go on, have a beer. We won't tell anyone.' Naughty lads!  I remained resolute and stuck to the non alcoholic ginger variety.   I've reached the crest of Dry January today and it's all downhill from now.  I'm still surprised how easy it's been but then I've been avoiding the pub, the South Devon mecca of real ales.

Aside from that I've had a very peaceful weekend just with Louis. There's lots happening behind the scenes for him. I'll reveal all at some point down the line.  With all the goings on  I reckoned that some full on mum-son time was called for.  So after allowing  a longer than normal lie in on Saturday, as Lou's growing and needs his beauty sleep,  we brunched at Lemon Jelli, his favourite Newton Abbot cafe and then holed up at home to watch a dreadful teen movie together.    Sunday was an even quieter day.  I cleaned downstairs in the morning and when the boy eventually emerged he decided he wanted to cook.  I'd done things the wrong way around.  Have you seen how much mess the average adolescent can make in a kitchen?

Jelly first!   Now I know that isn't really cooking but Lou insisted on making some.  After all my wine glasses aren't being used for anything else at the moment.  The ingredients on a packet of that stuff are pretty alarming.    There's half a sugar plantation and the waste from an abbatoir in one of those wobbly blocks!  On a healthier note here's Lou preparing tomatoes to roast for an easy soup.   Whilst he did that I rustled up a roast chicken, his favourite.

There's been time for talking, laughing and messing about. We've pretended that we've had no thumbs, tucking them into our palms.  It took two of us to lock the front door and put salt on our roast potatoes.  Lou gave me a back massage that seemed to consist of tickles and karate chops.  And homework had to be a joint effort.   From the depths of my brain I've trawled up the stuff about quadratic equations that was laid down nigh on forty years ago and  was able to conclude that one question in his maths homework was completely unsolvable.

Yes it was a quiet, no rushing around the country like we're prone to do.  But on reflection it was a precious one. It's left us refreshed to tackle whatever the new week throws at us.

6 comments:

  1. It's so important to touch base with your offspring. Glad you enjoying chilling together.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A weekend well spent. Good wishes on what's up in your life now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No thumbs lol I'm gonna give that a try. Sounds like a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thumbs thing is hilarious. I encourage you to try! xx

      Delete
  4. I know about no thumbs, mine hardly ever work properly and one of them works on its own by migrating to the centre of my palm.

    It is so good that you had the time together, it is important to do that and I am sure that you both enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would not like to have to contend with the thumbs thing all the time. Could some kind of dynamic splint be helpful to you? xx

      Delete