Saturday, 14 January 2017

Fragile?

Photo:  Lakeside Pottery
A  lovely friend with the kindest of intentions described me as fragile the other day.   I was bit puzzled by her use of words.  Firstly, under no stretch of the imagination could I be described as waif-like or delicate.  I'm more out of the fairy elephant mould!  More pertinently I'm not a person that crumbles at the first sign of emotional turbulence.  There's been a lot to cause this in both past and recent times but it's built such resilience.  And I'm not afraid to  chance making myself vulnerable to model trust and openess.  For ditching that cloak of fear brings great rewards.


So I'm  thinking again of kintsukuroi, the Japanese art of mending ceramics with gold to create a powerful visual metaphor. I thought that this was a particularly lovely example.

“Glass & peace alike betray proof of fragility under repeated blows.” David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas


6 comments:

  1. Much more profound than my analogy of Corelle dishes for hearty souls, but still need an abundance of repair if shattered. Peace always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those repairs make the original pieces even more desirable, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely. I wonder if the pieces by this maker were made and immediately broken. xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely grey, guess as you had a serious episode of anxiety depression.last year people don,t forget, you may have moved on but people remember. I had anxiety depression 16 years ago , some Collegues still say hope you are well or keeping well in everyday contact. I want to hit,them with with a spade, but just smile sweetly and say I,m great thanks you?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My illness last year formed a big vein of gold and thankfully does not define me now. In a funny way I'm glad that it happened for it's caused such a positive shift. My outlook today is very different than in January 2016. Sending you blessings and hope that you find ever increasing peace. xx

      Delete