Sunday, 22 January 2017

Have You Got a Minute?

There shouldn't be any excuse for not resuming my lino cutting activities should there?  The wires to dry prints are strung across the spare room,  I put my Christmas money from Mama and Papa Lovelygrey towards a beautifully crafted durathene roller and I'm stocked up with printing ink and paper.  There still didn't seem enough hours in the day to get going.

That was until I heard of the Japanese technique of Kaizen, a brilliant idea for self-improvement one tiny step at a time.  The practice involves doing something for a minute, every single day at the same time.  Because of the way my life pans out with each day being so different, consistency about timing isn't practicable.  Aside from that it seemed do-able and I thought that I'd give it a whirl.

For the past week or so I've been working again on the tinner's hares design that I started over eighteen months.  I took test prints  back in December and these indicated that I needed to do more cutting to define my design more sharply.  So every day I've been chip, chipping away - literally.  And it's no surprise to learn that the prescribed minute often turns into five, ten or more.  The piece is coming on.  Kaizen was just the kick up the bum that I needed. 

10 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I'm going to start that today, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's allowing yourself permission to do these things isn't it- given half a chance your inner slave driver will always find something more productive it thinks you should be doing and try and make you feel guilty if you don't obey its commands. Once you break the cycle and get back into the things that give you joy the mental wellbeing it gives is brilliant. So look forward to seeing your work...I have a couple of triple hares at home and would happily buy one of your prints to add to them.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope there'll be a print for you next time we meet up! xx

      Delete
  3. It is a fascinating art form. I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely thing to do - very arty, very technical. I love the way it engages me cognitively and creatively. xx

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of kaizen but I do something similar with my yoga practice. I've practised yoga for years but I always thought it was pointless if I couldn't do it for at least an hour a day consequently I only managed to do it on weekends. Someone told me that five minutes of yoga everyday is more beneficial than 1 hour once a week so that's now how I manage it and if I get time I do a longer session when I can. I did think since I no longer work I'd have more time but it hasn't worked out that way lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to a yoga class for the first time in ages this week. It's going to fill a slot while I'm waiting for Lou to do an after school activity. Five minutes a day sounds interesting. Maybe there are routines on Youtube to try. xx

      Delete
  5. I am so looking forward to seeing the prints from that lino-cut. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also looking forward to seeing the lino cut prints.

    ReplyDelete