Friday, 20 January 2017

Jigging Back to the '80s



A bit of music today because we haven't had any for a while have we?  I've thought that dancing is something that I've only recently embraced but if I look back in time there was a little window of jigginess back in my late teens and early twenties.  The place where I strutted my stuff was the Timepiece in Exeter.  It's still a favourite haunt for those who can manage to stay up past 10pm. Then it was a much smaller venue, a tiny bar and dance floor in a terraced property, an alternative nightclub rather than a discotheque.   Here's a wonderful tune that I seem to recall from those days. It seems to transcend the decades.

There seemed to be a dress code that spurned colour in that place.  I wore a lot of black and grey back anyway  then including a stack load of kohl around my eyes.  It was an attempt to be cool but I don't think that  I achieved it back then.  After all isn't being cool about attitude rather than wearing the right clothes?   I wonder if I'm nearer that state of mind now even though I'm  a relatively old codger in my '50s. Off course my teenage boy would tell me that I'm way off.

4 comments:

  1. Brought back memories of going out after 10:00, where now 10:00 feels like a needed self imposed curfew. We had the Corner bar, the beatnik alternative to a more popular bar where the fashionable students went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like,the sound of the Corner Bar xx

      Delete
  2. I'd love to see a photo (or more) of you in your twenties! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lordy I think there might be some in my ex's loft. I forgot to take photos with me. I'll have to ask xx

      Delete