Tuesday, 24 January 2017

Leif and Me: A Beautiful Relationship Rekindled

Leif, my little green Skoda, is back looking all sparkly.   Repeated trips to the repair shop is one way of making sure that your car is regularly valeted but is probably not the best idea. You'll remember that after a momentary lapse of concentration I pranged him on the M25.  A few weeks earlier he seemed to develop a mind of its own and that caused a separate accident. He now has new front and rear bumpers...and some.  I've kissed him on his steering wheel and made peace.  'Let's not hurt each other anymore.' I've suggested.

I've already surmised that what happened was a wake up call.  'Please pay more attention to the present moment.' the universe was begging.   Do you know I used to think it was a sign of intelligence that my brain was always active and never could be stilled?  What a knobber!  I'm discovering that most of the stuff buzzing about in there is redundant at the very least  and even has the potential to be dangerous.  I crashed my car because my mind was on other things, fretting as it happens.

There's a Youtube video by that guru in a tank top, Eckhart Tolle, where he talks about a causal link between mental state and motor accidents.  Be blowed if I can find it.  Instead here's a link to a different talk to be going on with. It's about dissolving pain.  The connection isn't as tenuous as it sounds.  Our preoccupation with our suffering diverts us. It stops us from giving the present the full focus that it deserves.  Without doing this we expose ourselves to greater risk of  safety lapses, the consequences of which add to our disruption and hurt.

15 comments:

  1. "What a knobber" oh that did make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be able to take my mind elsewhere and drive on automatic pilot, even in a 40 tonne truck. Sounds horrific but driving something that size is like slowing everything down.

    Now, in my car, I have to concentrate 100% on the road ahead, mainly because I don't want to get caught speeding. I stick to the limits rigidly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the size thing when I'm driving the motorhome. xx

      Delete
  3. Mind chatter is just that isn't it "chatter" and usually of the most negative, scary, pointless type either setting off worries about the future or make you feel angry about past events. Mind monkey is a drama queen! Is Leif he or a she? Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true. I'm a knobber(My new favorite word) too, thinking all that mind clutter made me feel necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to teach an American the lingo! xx

      Delete
  5. Don't beat yourself up you knobber. I would imagine most drivers have drifted into auto pilot. I certainly have, and remind myself often to pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to beat myself up. Being gentle with myself is a recent mantra. We are all knobbers at times. xx

      Delete
  6. The brain is a crazy thing and thinking about it blows my mind - I'm thinking it's a good thing I do not drive because it'd be treacherous out n the roads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mind is wonderful. Louis has given me a new job title. I am a brain inspector! xx

      Delete
  7. Mindfulness is not a state that I have ever been able to achieve. I hope that you will be able to. Good to see Leif back with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep trying. Those little glimpses of presence that I get now are so worth it! xx

      Delete
    2. Oh, alright then, since it is you! xx

      Delete